1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

All About Quests

Discussion in 'General' started by RubyO, Mar 19, 2017.

Share This Page

1. RubyO

By:RubyOMar 19, 2017

I've been working with the space quest system for a few weeks now. My Main quest includes apx. 20 sub-quests (what storybuilders call chapters) that tie into the main quest, including a sub-quest collaboration Ghaelen is building for me. It has been a great experience, and I plan to add link a mini-video tutorial here. The video won't include Rohan's smooth, friendly and peaceful voice attached to it, but it should work in the mean time to clear up some misconceptions. I apologize for not waiting until I could completely test my quest system. It is taking longer than I expected, because the story keeps on growing ;) (thoroughly enjoyable for me).

Remember the quest was created as a marketing/tutorial tool, but I am using it to write/show a 12 chapter 700m murder mystery. There are some workarounds I needed to work out, and some wish list items that I think could be quick fixes for already completed scripts. For example: I heard that there was a component fix made so that a player/reader would could pick a male or female reward (not both). I worked out a solution, but its more awkward than I hoped it would be. In another case I worked out a way to quest alternative routes (one red herring and one useful) for players to take, but its awkward-ness could also be easily fixed with a couple of script changes?

Then there is the wiki startable suggestion "we make our own," but I am not sure whether Space will actually allow me to do that? Is writing/editing a startable script something that needs approval? A real plus would be a startable quest player only chat return for password returns. At this point the conversation dialogue works well for the author (very nice), but I found no option for the player to return comment without resorting to live chat for an answer?

I am pretty sure that most "authors" will not be choosing to write involved quests that are so long. It is a unique situation, but what we can learn from one another will be useful for storytelling. My latest challenge is make RAIN work in conjunction with the animations I've already used. If there is anyone out there using a waypoint system, I would surely appreciate your adding your experiences/thoughts here about your use of waypoints or any other quest workarounds you've discovered.

Okay, so my first IMHO suggestion to finish this long-winded post: Don't add more than 2 or 3 cards to your Main Quest. Instead use the Main Quest as your Outline Designer for any number of sub-quests you choose to include and limit those quests to a few cards too. That way you can add in sub-quests as you complete your storybuild/other. It makes me a better storyteller, because I have to think about the logic of the what comes next or prior. If you miss a sub-quest or step, it can be added in later at the point you need it to be inserted. An expected nice feature that isn't always available in some quests I've tried elsewhere.

Oh, and there are 2 kinds of objects that need attention in the quest: 1) QUESTgameobject_onlyquestcansee_LI.jpg the NPC Quest Object is the object that "speaks" to the player. The component used is the one that requires an ID that you reserve like you do virtual goods. It is visible to anyone who visits your scene.

2) GameObject_LI.jpg The Game Object does not require a reservation ID, can be collected without being made a virtual good, is not seen by visitors who do not take part in the quest, and is great fun for storytelling, because you can time its appearance to the sub-quest (chapter in my case) you choose. You can even time it to the step within the sub-quest you choose.

Using either component requires you add it to your Quest designer card for either component to work.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Adam likes this.
  2. RubyO

By:RubyOMar 29, 2017

Update 3.29.2017

After a week of spring break and family/friend chaos I am back to working on the quest. An important update to add is that the wiki is missing an important piece of information. Quest creators need to add a Sine Space's Cutscene Dialogue Canvas. It is conveniently found in the project panel (prefab that is already assembled with its components). In order for the quest designer conversation option to work, this prefab must be added to the scene. Like the designer, it can be placed anyplace as long as you can live with the way the conversation between your actors is displayed when the quest is played.

The prefab is made up of panels. The photo here shows how it should look in your hierarchy, once you have added the prefab to your scene. [​IMG]Note the cutscene is a parent and it is not nested into any other object or empty. It does have children panels. One is called Panel and it has children titled Button and Text. [​IMG] [​IMG] All of the cutscene components are ticked EXCEPT the Panel Item Box. [​IMG] Leave it un-ticked, so that the quest conversation option will trigger it at the appropriate time.

If you do want to resize it to fit your needs be careful about retaining the original scale so that it fits into the Space User Display.
    The good news is that there are some good UI You Tube tutorials by Wicked Cat Studios available. Starting with an introduction (always nice) . So that we can compare what can be done while using Space buttons. After all an element is always a nice surprise, but familiarity with the whereabouts of buttons and basic/static information is equally important.

It is my understanding that Rohan is developing some quest tutorials too, so with a better background in Unity UI, it should make more sense to me, and it will make it easier for me to experiment with storytelling by object.

Edit: Be sure to set the canvas sort order to 20100 or +, so that it lays over elements underneath, scale mode to scale with screen, and the match mode to match width or height

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Adam likes this.
  3. RubyO

By:RubyOApr 3, 2017

Today's Quest Update: Two entirely different approaches to developing a Space Quest
    There is a lateral and linear way of writing quests. If I want to write a MAIN quest that flows in a book or movie like manner, I do a "subsequent" (cause and effect) quest). To do this I create a quest manager quest, but I don't add all of my sub-quests into it.

I only add the last sub-quest into the quest manager. The other sub-quests that are identified by their own unique identification number are dependent only on the sub-quest that comes before it. By the time you've finished 12 chapters and sub-quests every quest is linked together. Keep a spreadsheet. The longer the epic, the more links you will need. It can get confusing when you need to add the rewards into the mix.

Be sure your prior quest dependent ID is added to the quest that follows. The only quest that would not include a dependent ID is the first sub-quest.
    A Linear Game Manager Example.
    First side/sub-quest has an ID for itself, but no dependent ID.
    FIRST_QUEST_MANAGER.PNG
    The next side/sub-quest has an ID for itself, the and includes the prior dependent sub-quest ID.
    SUBSEQUENT_QUESTS_FOLLOW.PNG
    The purpose: the player must follow the order of your quest. No quest bang or other indication of an active quest will be made visible until the prior quest is completed.

Suggestion: Use your sub-quests that do not "deserve" rewards to award/issue documents, tools and evidence your player may need to complete quests that require additional virtual good requirements. Purpose: a Sine Space startable component that requires collection of inventory is a good story or learning device. For example, a scientist might need a test tube or a nun might need a rosary.

For lateral quests (those MAIN quests that don't require sequence) you can add sub-quests to one quest manager. Players will be able to play your various quests in any order they choose. In this case offer the big reward in the game manager. Suggestion/Caution: If you are going to offer a lateral quest, design only 3-5 sub-quests.

A Lateral Game Manager Example follows:
    All sub-quests could be managed in one Main quest.
    LATERAL_CHOICE_QUESTS.PNG
    The Purpose: All sub-quest bangs will be open and available for use.
    --------
    Last lazy lady's suggestion for the day: If you get tired of finding the conversation or close up focus for your quest objects (or other), make yourself a tool using a cube, empty and the spotlight component. Be sure the Y arrow is point upward if you are trying to focus a screen or text object. It is easy to make, works in 90% of quest cases to focus the camera, and you make a use over prefab. Just change the prefab name to "something" target and remove the components once you find your target. Set out a new already made one whenever you need a target link.

You can use any old cube, but if you keep your range to around 2.3 and your color to something awful it will be easy to see when the glow covers the object. Then you know its a hit. Reminder: remove all components except for the TRANSFORM before you link up the target in your designer or focus component.
    targetsetter.PNG targetsetter_light.PNG

Yep, at some point I plan to write out a tutorial with some form for myself and friends, but for now I am trying to post when time allows.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Adam

By:AdamApr 4, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

(Nothing specifically to add - but this is all super helpful stuff, thanks for doing it!)