1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report Allegorithmic Substances crashing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Trilo, Nov 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM.

Share This Page

1. Trilo

By:TriloNov 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM

While working on a region build, I ran into a problem where the region would process normally/successfully (I got an email telling me everything worked), but when trying to visit the build in-world the desktop client application was crashing and hanging on region load. I tested with the Mac 11.03 desktop client. Specifically, the region download (blue progress bar) appeared to complete successfully, the crash happened during the unpacking (gray progress bar) phase.

Picking apart the region's components individually on a known good test region, it appears that the issue is with some specific Allegorithmic Substance .sbsar files. I'm still in the time-consuming process of testing each substance in the scene, but two that I've discovered which are having difficulty are things that came directly from Allegorithmic's Substance Source site:

Asphalt wma concrete
    Linen Viscose Woven Cloth

2. Adam

By:AdamNov 12, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Are these Substance Designer 2017.X substances by chance?

3. Trilo

By:TriloNov 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM

I do not believe so. They work fine in the Unity 5.6 editor, and Unity doesn't support Substance Designer 6 or 2017.x materials until version 2017.2

4. Adam

By:AdamNov 14, 2017 at 7:14 AM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hrm, yeah that's why I was asking - just incase they were newer ones and Unity was misbehaving.

In my opinion; there's one of two causes here:

- The code we use to pre-render the 128x version first, OR
    - Unity has a bug in the player but not the editor (rare, but happens from time to time)

Are these set to 'Build on Load' or 'Don't generate'? (if they're set to Build On Load, then our code doesn't come into play, and it's a Unity bug, which I can report upstream)

5. Trilo

By:TriloNov 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM

They're set to build on load. It's also worth noting that they're both large, the .sbsar files themselves are more than 15MB on disk.

6. Adam

By:AdamNov 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

What resolution are they set to render at, out of curiosity?

7. Trilo

By:TriloNov 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM

Initially I was using at 512 and 1024, but have tried them all. Every single resolution works as expected in the editor, uploads and processes successfully (as per the emails), and then causes the desktop client to crash when trying to teleport into the region. Replacing the material in the scene with either a different substance or a material made from bitmaps resolves the issue immediately.

I tested the substances in an elaborate build, as well as a baseline 'known good' scene that has a simple terrain and few objects.

8. Adam

By:AdamNov 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Is this still in a scene somewhere and/or do you have a simple test scene you've got?

9. Trilo

By:TriloNov 16, 2017 at 6:56 PM

No, but those two substances are readily available to Substance subscribers on Substance Source.