1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Can not Delete/Edit Furniture Item

Discussion in 'General' started by Karma, Sep 30, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Karma

By:KarmaSep 30, 2018

So this may be two issues (or more) forgive my newness to this world.

My husband uploaded one of our meshes to the shop -- Pumpkin.
    And I notice on my account when I bought (free item) it from the shop it does not have EDIT handles nor can *I* delete it from the Edit Room Object menu. He can edit/delete it because those sub-menu items appear when he clicks on the object.

So there's two questions...
    One ... why does this mesh not have click-able bounding box?
    And why does my client not seem to have the pop up sub-menu when selecting that object?

For the first question. If it has something to do with the mesh upload script from unity (we've never worked with unity before and are coming in with our FBX files from 3dsmax) the unity inspector says that the object has:
    Transform
    (Mesh filter)
    Mesh Renderer
    Animator
    Room Furniture Script
    (where floor is ticked and scalable)
    VG Script
    Mesh collider
    where convex is ticked

For the second question MY Edit Object box looks different than the one on my husband's client on his computer. Mine seems to include all the sub-objects for the room. And when I select an object .. like this pumpkin .. I do not get the sub menu to delete/edit etc. If I hit DELETE anyway it asks me to confirm deleting 0 objects. However if I select say the default sofa ... that sub menu comes up as expected and I can edit that object.

Any pointers on where to look to address either of these issues is greatly appreciated.

Deep bow.
    ~Karma

Attached Files:

2. Trilo

By:TriloSep 30, 2018

Is the item set up to be adjustable? When creating an item, you can specify whether an item can be resized or not. I'd say watch and rewatch the tutorial vids on furniture, and carefully go through the components in the Unity editor.

Also, it's probably worth pointing out that when making an item, you should check it out carefully in-world on the preview grid before submitting it for review. In many cases, you can catch issues (like not being able to resize) there.

The edit object window could potentially look quite different, depending on the region you're in and your region settings. If it's your region and the region settings (or room template settings) give you full editing perms, then you'd likely have access to the inspector settings and tools. If you don't have the full customization perms, then you'd just have a basic view.

3. Karma

By:KarmaOct 1, 2018

Thank you Trilo for reaching out. Those are all very good suggestions. The video series have been invaluable.

I'm in that place if not knowing what are anomalies in-game or on my imports. But in time I'm sure I'll discern which is which.

I test in multiple regions if for no other reason than to have brighter lighting : ) and the pumpkin always worked fine on the preview server (even when the handle was @center) it could be moved duplicated, scaled and deleted.

This seems to have occurred after it was in the shop. But it still could have happened after moving the anchor to the bottom. I can't be 100% certain.

As for the sub menu not appearing when the pumpkin is selected (because it DOES appear with other objects). That happens only on one laptop, not a second one. (Same avatar, same region). I can of course uninstall and start again. I have cleared cache. But I'm wondering if I can learn more about it. Perhaps not unrelated, I notice every so often my avatar crashes on entry. And will continue to do so ... Until I log on to a different computer. Then for whatever reason it seems to work again on the original system.

Again it's too early for me to understand where things go awry but I'm trying to isolate possibilities.

Thank you in advance for everyone's patience and kind advice.

4. Trilo

By:TriloOct 10, 2018

For future reference, a good place to post these kinds of issues is on the tracker - issues.sine.space

I can't imagine (and have not yet heard reports of) items changing their settings spontaneously on the live grid. An easy way to check would be to go to the item on the preview grid, as it was submitted to live (if you've changed it since then, perhaps you have a saved version of that item you can re-upload). If it behaves the same as on live, then it was likely a missed setting, if the item hasn't changed since it was uploaded/submitted and behaves differently on the preview server than it does on the live grid, include that information on your bug report.

You may also want to submit a separate bug report on the tracker for the different behavior on the same account when using different machines.

5. Karma

By:KarmaOct 12, 2018

Thank you Trilo. Once I can determine it is an actual system issue and not user error :) I will do that.

At this point there are too many variables for me to pin something down. For instance ... I still can not click on that pumpkin .. but now (for reasons I can not determine) I can select it in the inspector window list (which still looks very cluttered with objects Untitled.png ) but I can at least now select and DELETE the pumpkin.

I just can't be sure its not something I'm doing wrong yet. Once I feel I can construct a sound replicable instance I will submit it to the tracker.

6. Trilo

By:TriloOct 14, 2018

The inspector would show all the objects in the scene/region. Depending on how it's designed (by the region creator in the Unity Editor), it could be a clean and easy-to-understand hierarchy - or it could be a mess.