1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Client/player stored data.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ren, Sep 28, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Ren

By:RenSep 28, 2018

Just wondering if there is a way data can persist on a character, not the server they are on, but in an attachment (A central asset server relating to the player base?), and any data change in that attachment remains saved even when it is taken off.

This is for the application of game huds, for example. A player may pick up some health packs, the hud adds a health pack (+1)… Now that extra health pack is showing on the players HUD (as a number, it’s just data, not a real object). Then if they take the hud off, will it keep its own instance of data, so it can then be placed back on and has retained the information it had before? Or will it act as a fresh object?

When working on games using custom games huds (as the clients character basically, storing all thier stats, health, exp and items) all the data remained with the avatar, remained with that instance of the hud. This was in Second life. So if I took of the hud, it went into my inventory as its own instance and could be placed back on the player, retaining all the data it had before.

This also meant the data could be carried from one sever to another, was not whipped if a server was whipped, and the player had ownership of their progress data.

Please note! I’m not asking if an inventory can hold items you have picked up (That’s a different thing and I know it can). I’m referring to a object that is placed on the HUD area but it not a default HUD object or modification, it is the clients data storage object, just happens to be placed on the HUD area so it can display information to the player.

2. Adam

By:AdamOct 3, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey @Ren best place for this is the scripters Discord group - but yes, check out the SPersistence class, you'll likely want to store it as a player attribute for this example.

Ren likes this.
  3. Ren

By:RenOct 3, 2018

Ty. At this point its more of a case of wanting to know its possible so i can plan things in my head. Still taking things slow a doing little bits of work now and again, but hope to dedicate more time to sine space in 2019. So, just want to feel confident that what i have in my mind cant be achieved, and all i will have to do is learn it :)

Would love to recreate a game i create in SL and maintained for 5+ years... even went back to look at SL as it was a loved horror game, but when i typed in 'horror' only 10 results turned up, first 2 where ''adult entertainment'' (if you know what i mean :p) then there was my small reaming shop that i haven't updated in 7 months, then more ''adult entertainment'' sites :(... So SL is no longer a platform i wish to work in.

If 'game data' can be stored on a character it mean i don't have to set up and learn about databases (Did that once, didn't like it, not the level i wanna be working at) and will let a player play on an instance i may be running and then take the same 'game data' and play it on another instance another customer may have purchased from me (maybe a smaller area where the player can play by them selves or with friends, doing a smaller aspect of the game-farming or something)... So is just so i can plan the direction i wanna take.