1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothing - transparency

Discussion in 'General' started by Rohan Freeman, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Rohan Freeman

Rohan Freeman Administrator Staff Member Moderator

What is the best way to manage transparent and semi transparent areas on clothing items?

2. ZareShadows

ZareShadows Administrator Staff Member Moderator

You can use alpha channel and tweak it with Standard/transparency shader. You will also need to adjust skin deletion zone, by default entire outfit is covered by it. So you will have to tweak the deletion zone so it doesn't delete the transparent/semitransparent areas. I haven't tried this but it should technically work.

3. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

I'll add a extra note here - I strongly recommend using 'cutout' instead of 'transparent/fade' shaders when possible - in a lot of cases it is possible. Cutouts render faster (framerate boost), and don't suffer weird issues with backfaces or layered transparencies. Some cases transparency is required and can't be avoided - but in a lot of other cases (e.g. hair), cutout can actually be made to look better.