1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report failure to deliver mail Messages between avatars when inventory items attached

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Austin Tate, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Austin Tate

Austin Tate Member

We have seen a number of times when mail between avatars that are offline with attached inventory items (for the owner of those items) fail to arrive.

I think I pinned down at least one case where this happens.

I sent 3 messages with the usual single inventory item attached to each for an item my avatar owned. I did this to two other avatars.

The first logged on and the 3 messages were there.

The second avatar logged on and the messages were not there. The items had to be sent again.

There may be some glitch related to only a single copy of an items (even where the owning avatar can send them fine) being "in transit" perhaps? I have seen this issue on both the Live server and , as reported in this observed case, on creator.sine.space.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. Austin Tate

Austin Tate Member

I also suspect another case where issues arise in mail delivery might be when inventory items are passed via mail between avatars on live, but the receiving avatar happens to be offline and log into creator first before returning to log in to live.

Adam did mention that the mail system might be shared between live and creator like the global chat is. If so that would very likely cause all sorts of issues if attachments are passed.. as they surely MUST remain only targeted at the receiving avatar on the SAME server as the sender (Live or Creator).

3. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

Hey, no - mail isn't shared between live/creator, I was wondering if you were doing it cross-grid. I need to tag @Allen to look into this.

4. Austin Tate

Austin Tate Member

Good... it does need to be relative to one grid. However, I have seen this issue on both Live and Creator servers.

I just did a more controlled test. I had three new inventory (not for sale) items owned by user "Austin Tate". I used mail to send copies of all three to "Ai Austin" and "Be Austin" second. I logged on as "Be Austin" and three messages were waiting. I accepted all three items. I logged on as "Ai Austin" ad no mail was waiting. I suspect only one inventory item can be in transit even when the sending user owns the items to be sent and can send as many copies as they wish. This could be very problematic as you will never know if or when the receiver has accepted or rejected the items.

Also, at the moment as soon as you send the mail/attachment you get a message "System: Message sent! - Your message has been delivered." That's not quite right and could be misleading. If the user is not online it would be better to say "System: Message sent. Your message has been queued for delivery." Maybe a confirmation message from the receiving user when they accept or reject being sent back to the original sender as mail might be helpful to.

Also more, I do think a way to add multiple attachments to e-mail would save a lot of faffing about.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017