1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Fairfield Deluxe 3BR House & Region

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Trilo, Dec 19, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Trilo

By:TriloDec 19, 2018

Introducing the Fairfield 3 bedroom house & region, a template you can use for your personal space in SineSpace!
    fairfield3br_512.png

This is a project I have been working on for quite some time, and I am very very excited to be able to share it with you. I wanted to make something that people could decorate and customize as much as possible, and took advantage of some of the really cool technology in Unity and SineSpace.

Of course, the house makes use of the floorplan system. You get a 'Room Editor' button and the ability to place your furniture and decorations on most floors and walls and even in the yard really easily. Your items should just snap to the surface, but you can also fine-tune the placement, rotation, and size (if that item's creator allows resizing). The Room Editor allows you to do so much more...

fairfield3br_edit01M.png

First and foremost, there are 16 different configurable zones in this region, and in almost every room you have options to customize and swap materials on the floors, walls, base molding (at the bottom), and crown molding at the top. Like any real-world new home it comes with tan carpets and white interior walls (with a lovely tiled kitchen floor and wood flooring in the dining room), but you can easily swap those out using any materials that you own (either from one of my packs or something made by someone else).

fairfield3br_edit02M.png

Each room also has either a simple ceiling light light like what's pictured above, or a hanging light - and there are fluorescent lights in the garage and attic. In the room editor you can turn lights on/off and adjust the brightness, and even choose the color of the light (they all start out with natural colors, but can easily be changed).

fairfield3br_edit03M.png

In the main zone (which is labeled Start Here!) there are configurable buttons for day and night. The region defaults to daytime, but with a click you can choose to make it sunrise, sunset, or middle-of-the-night. You can also choose to have a full day/night cycle, where the sun rises and sets (and stars come out at night). You can choose to set your SineSpace day to 3, 6, 12, or 24 hours - and once you saved settings are remembered between visits.

Yes, the home and entire region fully uses physically based rendering (or PBR) materials, these advanced materials look amazing in different lighting settings and visually sets SineSpace apart from anything possible in any previous generation world.

I also designed the place in such a way that as you go through the house, the camera will come in closer - this should reduce (or hopefully eliminate) situations where the camera pokes through the wall or you and your guests have a hard time seeing.

fairfield3br_edit04M.png

The house also features clickable doors! Exterior doors are in the center of the picture above, and feature one larger and one smaller - click on either and they will both animate open if closed, and closed if open. Interior doors are all like the one on the left in the picture.

fairfield3br_edit05M.png

In designing the house I knew I wanted to have a garage and driveway for people to be able to 'park' and show off any vehicles they may own, but I struggled with how to handle the garage. Rather than having the garage be always open or closed, or use a really basic animation to open the door, I dove into Unity's animation capabilities to create an electric automatic garage door that slowly opens and closes as each segment moves along the track.

Of course, what good is a garage and driveway if you don't have anywhere else to drive? The rural countryside region is big... more than 3.5 square kilometers of space (more than 4x the size of a region in a popular previous generation virtual world). Gentle, rolling grass-covered hills, with a few kilometers of driveable roads for you to explore. Go for walks, runs, or practice driving your favorite vehicle.

The countryside is covered in beautiful sycamore trees, a custom design I created and with leaves and branches that move in the wind. There are deer and rabbits roaming the woods, and sparrows flying in the skies above. The skies also feature volumetric clouds - a technology I spent way too much time learning for another project (hahaha), but deliver really amazing cloud cover.

Throughout the entire project, I did my best to keep an eye on efficiency. The intent was to give you a place that looked great and felt luxurious, and gave you lots of options to customize as much as possible, but left you with plenty of room to decorate. It currently comes in at only 55MB, leaving you 73MB for your furniture and decor on a free plan, and GIGANTIC OODLES OF SPACE on one of the paid subscriptions :D

You can find it in the SineSpace shop today, look for Fairfield 3BR in Region -> Home

You can also explore this home in-world. Search for Fairfield, and you should see the Fairfield 3BR Demo region. As soon as I get the chance I plan on decorating the 'model home' with furniture and different materials - maybe even put some solar panels up on the roof! ;-)

From there I'll try and record some videos showing how things are configured and how it looks with different setups.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    ZareShadows and Lex4art like this.
  2. Trilo

By:TriloDec 19, 2018

You can find out more info about the materials packs I have created by checking out this thread.

3. Adam

By:AdamDec 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Really nice work! Great showcase of the room editing tools too. :D

4. ZareShadows

By:ZareShadowsDec 19, 2018
    Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks really good Trillo! Nice work.

5. Trilo

By:TriloDec 20, 2018

Thank you very much! I've added both a wallpaper pack and a shag carpet pack to the shop. Using the separately available materials packs should give you several thousand different ways to configure the house, before you even get to the point of placing furniture... and of course you can also use other creators' materials packs, and use the material packs I've made on other region templates that support swappable materials.

An update to the template that was posted today does a little fine-tuning and bug-fixing, and brings the region's filesize to 55MB. That still leaves over 70MB for your furniture and decor on a free plan, and over 450MB if you're signed up for one of the great subscription deals.

6. Trilo

By:TriloDec 22, 2018

It's also worth noting, on the 'demo' house in-world I've changed some of the materials and put some art on the walls. As you get it, the exterior is light blue spanish plaster with darker blue trim (as pictured). The interiors are eggshell white satin paint and tan carpeting in most rooms. The dining room and first floor hall (which share a material are wood floors) and the kitchen is tiled (I left the first floor cartpet, wood floor, and tile exactly as it comes so you can see how it looks, and the study has white walls).

7. Karma

By:KarmaDec 22, 2018

Nicely done. The model home site is super. I particularly like the sound features (e.g. garage door). Love the critters on the property!

8. ArcticRose

By:ArcticRoseJan 8, 2019

I bought this region and for the most part, I love the nature and landscaping. Was able to change colors on the house, but one area on the trim around the roof didn't change like it should. I love the interior, however the rooms are small and harder to see to place furnishings also the furnishings fly around before I can get them placed sometimes. Maybe a few walls could have been eliminated to make some rooms larger? Some friends are unable to load my region because of older computers. I love decorating regions in sinespace but I need more room to navigate. I wanted to give an honest critique on this. I don't mean to be offensive in any way. As a whole I give the region a 4 star. Keep on creating, Trilo.......you're doing a much better job than I could ever do as I have no experience in Unity.

9. Trilo

By:TriloJan 10, 2019

I'll investigate the trim issue asap. As far as making fundamental changes to the design of the house (knocking out walls or combining rooms), I appreciate the feedback but I can't make any promises - more work goes into it than you may think.

Unfortunately, some of the issues you're experiencing are SineSpace client-related. Older computers should not have issues loading, the build doesn't use anything that requires a high end machine. Furniture placement should also not have any issues, but recent client builds (10b31 and later) have been a bit more sensitive (snapping to a nearby surface instead of the one you wanted). I've been hearing about many fixes and improvements expected in the next round of clients - they're long overdue and my fingers are crossed that we get them soon.

ArcticRose likes this.
  10. Trilo

By:TriloJan 14, 2019

ArcticRose, I wanted to add that if your friend who was experiencing problems visiting the region on their machine could file a ticket on the issues.sine.space tracker (if they need help with the form perhaps one of the guides can assist), it would help the SineSpace developers to identify what's going wrong so they can get it fixed.

ArcticRose likes this.
  11. ArcticRose

By:ArcticRoseJan 15, 2019

Trilo, today I ran into a problem...........was playing with the Lighting and my hair started flashing, somehow in settings got it fixed, then my blonde hair turned black and I can't seem to fix that. Would you know how? Any help appreciated.

12. Trilo

By:TriloJan 16, 2019

That sounds like a bug with the sinespace client - you should be filing bug reports on stuff like that

ArcticRose likes this.
  13. Adam

By:AdamJan 16, 2019
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Heya @ArcticRose that indeed sounds like a client bug. (Anything like that - please report to us directly!)

ArcticRose likes this.
  14. dylannn

By:dylannnJan 23, 2019

Nice work on the house!