1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Feedback Request - Avatar Customisation

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Adam, May 18, 2017.

1. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

Hi there!

As some of you may know from the office hours - avatar customisation will be nearing the top of our TODO lists soon (we've been posting a bit about the sliders & body type customisation recently).

As we put together the list of requirements for avatar customisation - we want to know what you want.

Here's what's on our TODO already:
    • Body sliders, with clothing adjusting automatically
    • More "slots" - allowing multiple items to be worn on a single slot, with automatic slot-logic for things on the same layer (that can be overridden.)
    • Better skin tone pickers
    • Recolouration of clothing without needing to go through the clothes customiser.
    • Default colour values which clothing/attachments can 'read' and do something with - e.g. Hair Colour, Eye Colour, etc
    • Tattoo and Make-up layers & compositing
    • Preset faces, avatars
    • A randomise button
    • A better 'outfit' screen (possibly some kind of wardrobe where you can visibly see your outfits, ala the inworld signup UI's picker)

Is there anything we're missing you think we should add? Let us know!

2. Trilo

Trilo Active Member

Those are all pretty awesome, but +1000 for expanded slots/layers

This one isn't avatar customization per se, but is a part of a user's personalization experience. The #1 thing that most users on any given social platform do, and do first, is customize their avatar, and that begins with setting a profile pic. Space needs a super easy way (ie drag and drop) for people to upload and customize a user pic in-world.

Also, the ability to adjust the position of attachments. That would allow users to adjust a hat so it neither floats above the head nor has hair poking through it, or a purse/handbag could be worn over left/right shoulder, etc.

As a guy with a shaved head whose avatar does the same, I would also like to see the UV map of the avatar head be adjusted so that there's no sharp break between the front and back of the head. On a simply-colored old-style skin it looks alright, but anything more advanced (that uses normals, micro-surfaces, etc) it's jarring.

I like the idea of having presets for faces and avatars a lot. That lets a brand new person easily pick from a list (or click on a picture) to get to a working slider combination fast Then if/when they want to tinker, they can... and if they mess it up they can just click on a preset again to get back to a 'known good' combination.

I'm not sure what you mean by recolouring, but as a clothing designer that idea makes me a little nervous. At design time, getting the colours just right can be a pretty time-consuming process (even moreso with PBR), and I'd be worried about breakage.... going both directions. A user should have an easy way to revert back to the original colours it had when they bought it, and also something that kept them from losing their recolourizations if/when an outfit was updated.

3. Rei Nori

Rei Nori New Member

A bit of asymmetry for some facial features really helps to stay out of the uncanny valley. A slightly different eye shape, and a bit of crook to the nose and corners of the mouth can really help to people identify with the their your avatar.

I am sure you already know this, but the more folks like their avatar, the more loyal they will be to the game.

Adam likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

Agreed - I think we can add some subtle asymmetry modifiers to the face.

Yup, absolutely - one of the reasons' we're engaged in the 'Make avatars better!' project. :)