1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fog Volume 3 asset - how to setup camera for Sinespace?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lex4art, Nov 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Lex4art

By:Lex4artNov 21, 2017

Subj. This asset (spend whole weekend playing with it and learning - complex, but cool!) requires camera to work but player char generated in Landing Zone at runtime... how to make it work on Sinespace servers, please?

2. Adam

By:AdamNov 21, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

With quite a bit of pain - it does something to the depth buffer on the camera which we haven't quite yet figured out what, but it results in the data it needs not coming through intact. I'm going to be taking yet another stab at it this week; I have a feeling the shader itself might be getting corrupted somehow in the export process. (I've already spent several weeks hammering on it over the past few months.)

3. Lex4art

By:Lex4artNov 21, 2017

4. Adam

By:AdamNov 21, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hrm. The issue is it actually does work correctly in the editor, just not the built players - which is odd, and a bit hard to trace down. I do wonder if it's the post stack though, that might be the one thing I haven't tried.

5. Trilo

By:TriloDec 3, 2017

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. It's been on the whitelist since March, and it works as expected in the Unity editor, but anything other than a very basic volume doesn't seem to work in SineSpace. I'm hoping that the 2017.2 update might bring a change.

6. Lex4art

By:Lex4artDec 3, 2017

Well, Sinespace now graphically rich enough and this has it's price - managing a small zoo of plugins with own bugs & incompatibilities here and there... so, fingers crossed ).

7. Lex4art

By:Lex4artDec 5, 2017

Adam likes this.
  8. Adam

By:AdamDec 5, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

That looks exactly like our symptoms. We actually already have a scene like that (our 'bootstrap scene'). I'll see if that fixes it. Fingers crossed!

Lex4art likes this.
  9. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Just reading that fix, looks like you need the exact volume preloaded. I'm wondering if it's a shader keywords/variants issue. I hope not. Those are a damn pain to fix.

10. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

OK, so - I'm doing a build now to test if it is, what I suspect, a shader keywords issue. I'm precompiling all variants and embedding them. Fingers crossed this works, we'll know in about 6 hours when the build finishes.

11. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, still compiling - but so far we've built over 30gb of shader variants by precompiling. If it works, we'll at least know the problem.

If it is that however, we'll need to rewrite the way it works, or precompile just specific 'presets' which you will be able to tweak, but not change certain settings (i.e. have certain features on/off, but only certain configurations of on/off will be supported.)

12. Adam

By:AdamDec 6, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

15 hours later, build is still going. At this point, I'm perversely interested in exactly how long this is going to take, but is obviously not a usable solution. Not disrupting anything, so I'll just let it run, but I think rewriting the shader to eliminate some shader variants is going to be most definitely required.

13. Lex4art

By:Lex4artDec 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Maybe in next couple of months a solution will come to mind, no quick fix there it seems...

14. Adam

By:AdamDec 6, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if it proves to be the problem it at least opens a bunch of options for handling it. The big problem thus far is I haven't established exactly what the problem is.

Picking and choosing a bunch of variants to make 'known work' templates which can be customised, would be a good starting point we can do, if this is the problem.

Lex4art likes this.
  15. Adam

By:AdamDec 8, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, build is still running - but I'm afraid, I might have to terminate this experiment. That said, I might be able to whip up another test to see if this issue the issue.

Lex4art likes this.