1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Fog Volume 3 asset - how to setup camera for Sinespace?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lex4art, Nov 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Lex4art

By:Lex4artJan 26, 2018

I've got some positive results with fog + objects - here are my lucky settings ("softness" is essential too, on "0.01" it's will broke everything; "Fog volume directional light" script on the Sun is not needed here):
    FogVolume3_my_lucky_settings.jpg
    Note that this is not tested with latest SineSpace fog patch, just lucky settings ).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  2. Trilo

By:TriloJan 31, 2018

Are you able to get it to layer properly when the FV is at the same level as the avatar? It can do some pretty clouds, but when it comes to ground level fog or dust storms, it only seems to render all fog volumes in front of the avatar or behind it for me.

3. Lex4art

By:Lex4artFeb 1, 2018

I've uploaded live example on the creators servers (location "Engine features test"). Unfortunately it's just plain fog there:
    FogVolumeAndCharacter_in-client.jpg

In editor it's looks just fine:
    FogVolumeAndCharacter.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  4. Adam

By:AdamFeb 1, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Just for some added annoyance - that region is working perfectly fine in my editor. So must be something similar to before I'm betting.

5. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

OK, this is interesting - exiting the volume does not make it behave. which makes me think it's some iteration of the earlier bug. There might need to be a fair amount of trial and error to see why the noise texture is missing this time.

6. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah it seems my patch was not applied to the upload this time - you might need to re-apply it and reupload this scene.

7. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Good news: this does appear to work, see the test region I uploaded on creator named "Fog Volume Test 4" - fly up to see it.

8. Trilo

By:TriloFeb 1, 2018

I just visited, and hooray it's working. If you could please share some settings details or screenshots, that would be awesome!

9. Adam

Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

10. Lex4art

By:Lex4artFeb 2, 2018

Some more about updated Fog: after I've replaced script with Adam's version there is a problem - newly created Fog Volume's can't have "Noise" option enabled. The reason of this is here I presume - original FogVolume.cs script have a lot of properties to be correctly fulfilled and they can't be replaced with delete original/paste updated FogVolume.cs script by hands:
    Fog-Volume-script-proper-import-1.jpg

Okay, I've put all those textures/objects/shaders in proper slots in Adam's version of FogVolume.cs, "Noise" option working fine, all looks as expected in Editor but... fog didn't appear in Client at all, tested with four different parameters set/positioning on the map.

So, maybe this FogVolume.cs script should be exported as a package? This way all those hidden relations between scripts, resources and god knows what else - all of this can be properly saved and imported with update via "Add custom package" option in my or anyone's else editors:
    Export as package.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. Lex4art

By:Lex4artFeb 16, 2018

Solution for Fog Volume dark bounds bug, visible though all geometry on the level. It's surprisingly simple - just untick checkbox "Create surrogate mesh" (enabled by default) in each Fog Volume properties:
    FogVolume visible bounds fix 1.jpg
    FogVolume visible bounds fix 2.jpg

12. Lex4art

By:Lex4artFeb 16, 2018

Additional information: there is an alternative solution for "visible Fog Volume bounds" problem - just set "Downsampling" in Fog Volume camera component to something larger than "1" and those bounds will disappear (I have no access to Client builds, but I found that realtime reflection probes have same behavior in Editor - if you see Fog Volume bounds in the reflection they will be in Client, if not - same will happens for Client).

But... unchecking this "Create surrogate volume" box makes impossible to use "Downsampling" function on Fog Volume camera component (fog volumes won't render if "Downsampling" set to larger than "1"). But this is essential thing - here is my best results with settings optimization + downsampling ("Create surrogates" is enabled):
    FogVolumeDownsamplingFPS.jpg

So, it's a "Feature request" - access to the Client Fog Volume camera component settings is needed.

13. Lex4art

By:Lex4artMar 27, 2018

Anyone? )

14. Adam

By:AdamMar 28, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey @Lex4art - I can look at exposing that setting, it's a -little- complex to arrange, but I can take a look.

Just need to make sure we don't botch up all the shaders again! (Although David has integrated my patch into the next release...)

Lex4art likes this.
  15. Lex4art

By:Lex4artMar 28, 2018

Hope it is possible, without access to downsampling and other camera options FogVolume effects are limited to simplest clouds/plain fog because of performance hit ...