1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Full Mesh Characters

Discussion in 'Community' started by Saphy Riler, Nov 20, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 20, 2018

Good Morning,
    I am not even sure if this is the right place for this, if it is not please forgive ahead of time.
    I have over a hundred Mesh Characters in Opensim that I would love to bring to Sinespace.
    They are fully rigged in Blender using Avastar.
    I have read the tutorial 20 times and still can not seem to have the rigging right when they come into sinspace.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In Unity

[​IMG]
    what it looks like in Sinespace_ No textures and Tpose
    So my question is this.
    rigged or not rigged when coming into Sinespace?
    I do understand I could make separate animation controllers for each in Unity and I might do that as well but right now my focus is getting them inside Sinespace and rigged correctly.
    Thanks ahead for the answers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Trilo

By:TriloNov 20, 2018

If you're making humanoid avatars, it's worth putting in the extra time to rig the bodies sans clothing as actual avatars, that is rigging to the SineSpace skeleton. That way they would benefit from being able to work with clothing and attachments, and if you sort out blendshapes they'd also work with shape sliders and possibly even the facial driver.

The alternative is the costume/bypass avatar. That method is intended more for non-humans (like the spider avatar you see in the shop), but some use it for NPC's and other dead-end characters. As the name suggests, costumes replace the entire user avatar with the new model (like it's wearing a costume), and since it's replacing the avatar system it bypasses all the features. So no ability to change clothes, adjust skin color or body size and shape, no attachments, and no chance of working with the facial driver.

As a user who really likes the idea of avatar customization and mixing and matching different things and playing with settings to create an individual look, and as a designer who makes clothing for avatars, I'm biased and firmly believe that it's worth the extra time and struggle to make humanoids as actual avatars.

3. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 20, 2018

Thanks Trilo,
    I have been at it all day and I think I am making headway!
    I have got the character into Sinespace with textures and working with the system animation controller.
    I am not sure I like how big it is in comparison to the actual avatar, will work on it over the Thanksgiving Holiday!
    Thanks for your advice it was very helpful!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    [​IMG]

4. Dolome Demonia

By:Dolome DemoniaNov 21, 2018
    Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Saphy,

Our avatars are full mesh. We do not have anything in sinespace that is not real mesh. Ours are designed so there is only one size of clothing needed. We are continually improving on this as we go through the beta. for those of us from the opensim worlds its a great feature. As one sl creator I have had to make up to 24 different versions to work with the HUGE variety of specialty avatar bodies. We want to avoid that here. :) Basing new furry or anime avatars on our basic body so people can use all clothing and have it also work with the body sliders would be awesome and so many people are eagerly awaiting those. Please feel free to contact me for any help

:)

Dolome Demonia
    sinespace Community manager

5. Trilo

By:TriloNov 21, 2018

Yeah, it's probably worth pointing out that calling a piece of content 'mesh' is a SL-centric way of thinking... since technically speaking, all 3d modeled objects (including the basic SL prims) are mesh objects (go into wireframe mode in that world, it will show you the outlines of all the mesh objects).

Sounds like you're having some scaling issues, your model should be at a PSR of zero on the xyz axis and scale set to 1, otherwise when it's uploaded you'll see unexpected/unwanted results. Here's a tip that you may find helpful.... make a copy of the SineSpace avatar model that's included in the editor pack and bring that into whatever program you use to do your 3D modeling. If possible, lock that object (so it can't accidentally be moved or changed in any way), and then make and resize your thing in relation to that avatar. Once everything looks right, check to make sure your PSR is good and matches that avatar model. Then, in theory, if you're exporting it out of your program and importing to Unity properly, everything should be as you expect. Good luck!

6. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 21, 2018

Thank you both so much for the sound advice and good start to understanding the rigging process.
    I do know everything in SL is mesh including the prim and terrain and avatar, I am so used to saying Mesh Characters In Opensim.:)
    Ok with all that you have advised I will be working this Holiday weekend to bring my characters into Sinespace, Very Good Suggestion Trilo about making a copy of the model to shrink wrap to or use as a reference.
    So I also make clothing in Blender. The process would be the same for say a dress? rigged and than brought into unity?
    I also have one more question, sorry to be a big pain.
    I want to give it all away for free as I don't need to make extra cash and I enjoy the process of creating. How would I do this in pricing?
    My plan is to have a BIG store with nothing but freebies for people to grab. I think Sinespace can only benefit from a Freebie store,
    0 gold and 0 silver equals Free?
    Can I give copies to people in Sinespace?
    Thanks again for taking your time to advise me.
    Saphs

Edited.
    I have uploaded a video showing the problems I have after getting the character into Sinespace.
    It works with the animations, looks fine no deformed mesh but it wont move forward, sideways.I have left the controller as none when uploading to use the System Animation Controller.

any suggestions as to how to fix this other than making separate controllers for them?
    I use avastar in Blender to rig them.Could that be why?

Edited~
    I have tried a couple different settings to upload,the character .
    Following Sinespace wikii I have had the best result but still can not get it to move forward other than clicking a spot which is more than she would do this morning but stil not right. :(

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  7. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 23, 2018

Ok I have tested all characters in unity...example video..they all work well with there own controllers.
    I am still at a loss why I cant move them in Sinespace other than the click method
    Help Please.

8. Ai Austin

By:Ai AustinNov 23, 2018

Yes Saphy... set them for sale at zero silver and zero gold to make them avaailable for free in the store.

You can also pass items to other avatars explicitly... whether you set them for sale or not.

9. Ai Austin

By:Ai AustinNov 23, 2018

This sounds like the “Apply Root Motion” setting needs switching Saphy perhaps?

10. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 24, 2018

I also thought of that and have tried a few different varations. Thanks so much AI Austin for the responce, I really would like to solve this once and for all.
    Going to dive into it again today.
    And thanks for the clarity on pricing
    Still so much to learn! Im loving IT~

11. Dolome Demonia

By:Dolome DemoniaNov 24, 2018
    Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hi Saphy,

It was my understanding that we were getting you in touch with Adam to get you on track and working with this for the grid. Could you please send me an email @
    michele.gray@gmail.com so I can make sure you get to him on this project.

thank you
    Michele Gray - Dololme Demonia

12. Dolome Demonia

By:Dolome DemoniaNov 24, 2018
    Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

13. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 24, 2018

Fantastic, getting ready to email you now.
    I have tested today...
    Mixamo Rigging- failed
    Non rigged when brought into Unity and unity rigged it
    Avastar rigged Option One checked Apply root motion and left the rest untouched
    Avastar rigged Option Two cjhecked apply root motion, always animate instead of normal and calling method is also always animate.
    I have video of all four testing. The closest was avastar rigging but had the same results as yesterday

14. Trilo

By:TriloNov 25, 2018

Perhaps using a blender plugin for rigging in a different virtual world (avastar) isn't the best solution for creating SineSpace content.

15. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 25, 2018

Well that's why I am here! For guidance as to how its done. I did bring a non rigged into Unity and let Unity rig it as you suggested, it was another failed attempt with not even close results.
    And as I have mentioned I have tested other rigging methods,the" blender plugin for other virtual worlds" came up with the best results even over your suggestion of Unity rigging it.
    I am open to suggestions or I would not be here. If Blender plugin is the problem, PLEASE suggest something that works, considering there is not alot or should I say" Only a few " Full costumes in the marketplace I would assume its not a easy process, and I am not as stupid as you preseve me to be, granted I am no wiz like Adam, or not even close but I do Understand a little bit about Unity and Blender and rigging
    So that being said....
    Im here, looking for help and advice, reading and testing until I find something that works with Sinespace.Its Sinespace that I am unfamiar with, Sinespace that challenges me to find a solution.
    Sorry, Until I get familiar with Sinespace Im going to be a pain, I am going to have alot of questions...That's how people learn.

Spiral Silverstar likes this.
  16. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerNov 27, 2018

I thought I would update this!
    Thanks to the brillant advice of Digvijay I can say it is working great.
    The trick for anyone looking that may run into the same problem is
    DO NOT CHECK apply root motion. I have always checked it...
    I will tweek so more but man thats a HUGE hurtle .Thank you all
    I can't wait to start brining in some characters.
    you will have to come to SaphysCreations to grab them for Free!

Spiral Silverstar likes this.