1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

[Furniture prep+Room editor tools] Not sure if this is the right place topically but...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James Stallings, Nov 2, 2017.

Share This Page

?

How are you finding the Furniture Placement System?

1. It works perfectly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A little rough around the edges

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Seriously needs attention

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. What the heck is this even about?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tacos

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. James Stallings

By:James StallingsNov 2, 2017

Greetings all!

Just wanted to drop this for Adam/Allen per our convo in the dev channel this morning RE: Furniture Placement/Room Editing System. Here's the text of that convo:

https://pastebin.com/dE0FeGiM

If you dig through all that, you'll see Adam asked for a certain screen shot:

https://gyazo.com/713667bbf3d8f1d426df773d9c4c75aa

The TL;DR is that the default alignment algorythm is logically and mathematically sensible but very inconvenient for casual human use.

Further complicating the matter, the furniture placement tools interface, while presented clearly and cleanly, does obstruct the workview to a considerable extent.

The tools cannot be resized or rearranged; there are somewhat harsh (from a builder/creator perspective) constraints on the camera position; and certain sensitivities within the furniture positioning code. These things in combination can make for a bit of a rocky experience when trying to do anything approximating fine placement work.

Concerning the alignment of spawned assets (furniture), and how it snaps to the Furniture Floor Component:

As of now, where a piece spawns vis a vis the floor is determined by it's geometric origin, as contrived in that graphics tool used to produce the mesh asset(s) comprising the object. The problem with this is, if the origin is not placed in anticipation of use as a sine.space furniture item, or if the origin has been carelessly placed/neglected by the content author, or even isn't featured in the authoring system, the furniture might spawn off in the distance, well below the floor, well above it, or not at all. If/when it does spawn, it will likely exhibit odd behaiours during finer adjustment like snapping back into floor alignment, snapping to 0,0,0 or other unpredictably distant locations.

Thanks guys! Your work and patience are profoundly appreciated.

Cheers,
    James

Lex4art likes this.
  2. Torgon Woodget

By:Torgon WoodgetNov 2, 2017

Hi James,
    i usually wrap my mesh objects into an empty game object in unity, and position them relative to the empty object. That way i can make sure that, whatever happens inside the mesh, the inworld positioning is independent. Now i do that for the items i use in unity directly, but i would strongly assume that it would carry over to inworld furniture items too.

3. Adam

By:AdamNov 2, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Tacos.

4. James Stallings

By:James StallingsNov 3, 2017

I've spent an insane amount of time doing precisely this. It's very trial+error. What I'm seeking is a way to anticipate, in advance, with a degree of more than marginal certainty, where an object will spawn, based on it's construction and the environment in which it will be spawned. Further, I don't want to have to fight t he interface and placement tools while I do it.

I don't want to spend another ten hours to finely adjust the spawning position of a set of five furniture pieces again.

5. Adam

By:AdamNov 6, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

I think we're overdue some improvements to this feature - so I will solicit additional feedback into this thread to get some ideas from folks as well.