1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How much Unity will work

Discussion in 'General' started by 8-bit Biologist, Sep 14, 2017.

1. 8-bit Biologist

8-bit Biologist New Member

Here is a general question, in the general section. In Second Life, all the tools - the scripting, terrain, etc, were in world. Same for OpenSim. So now I am looking at Sine Space specific Tutorials, as well as Unity specific tutorials. I find the Space tutorials can help me do some things, but there are lots of other things that are not covered. Which I imagine I need Unity for. However, I am reticent to learn Unity because I am not sure how much of it ports over to Sine Space and make the build not work.

SO - will anything I set up in Unity: triggers, events, etc - transfer into the Sinespace space? Can I just learn Unity and set up my world like I would a game, with triggers spaces and such? It seems that not all things would work but I'm confused where the line is.

8-bit

2. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

Most things will work!

The exception will be scripts - custom Unity scripts wont work (that can currently be 'made' to work for white label customers with some work on the individual scripts) - but besides that, I'd say 99% of the knowledge is transferable.

3. 8-bit Biologist

Thanks Adam! Good to know! So I guess the best way to start is learning Unity then.

4. Trilo

Trilo Member

As a user/creator, I recommend diving as deeply into Unity as you can. Outside of scripting almost all of it works in SineSpace, and when it does come to scripting not only what Adam said but they've got their own Lua scripting system that may work for your needs. Learning Unity can seem overwhelming at times, mostly because wow there's a whole lot of stuff out there to learn.... but once you get past the initial shock of just how much there is, it has been a pretty good experience.

pseudolukian likes this.
  5. 8-bit Biologist

Thank you for the insight Trilo. It is intimidating, specially with a background in education where I have not had as much experience as others might in building. It seems like I might taper some of my design to better fit my meager skills. But again, thank you for your encouragement, it is needed!!

8-bit

Adam likes this.