1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report Items with Standard Shader set to Fade render mode show through Water

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Austin Tate, Sep 5, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Austin Tate

By:Austin TateSep 5, 2017

I have recently been changing materials in my sinewave projects to the Standard shader from various legacy shaders used before via the OpenSimulator OAR conversion process. This worked pretty well but a number of items ended up as render mode "cutout" and did not show correctly, at all, or had very jagged edges to the images. It turns out many of these originally had legacy/transparent/cutout/soft edges.

This was okay until I tested and see that looking up through water the items that had materials that have standard shader with the fade render option show through the water.. whereas those with opaque and cutout renders do not. Not yet sure how to fix that, or if its a sinespace or a general Unity issue, but it looks very ugly unfortunately.

Standard-Cutout-Fade-Issue-Partially-Transparent.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Adam

By:AdamSep 7, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hrrrm, the water is likely using GrabPasses, and should be set to run in a later layer. Unfortunately doing that quickly/easily without editing the shader can be a bit rough. Are these materials ones you could switch to using 'Cutout' instead of 'Fade'?

3. Austin Tate

By:Austin TateSep 7, 2017

When I modified the legacy shaders to Standard as we discussed.. it turns out that most of the ones with partial transparency.. like logos attached to the sides of buildings... got render "cutout" but they drop out, are nit seen at all or are very poorly rendered, tattered or partially missing. I lost things like floor grating, most ship/craft logos and some partial transparency windows. I had to go back to make those fade to have some show at all.

Emissive also got messed up and lost. I had to find all lot items and turn them back to the texture/material driven versions.

All the materials also seem to have partial smoothness and metallic properties... looks like a default is taken there for everything.. so a lot of the materials have a shine that was not intended. I will eventually go through and fix some of that... but unfortunately these OAR conversions have THOUSANDS of textures and materials as you know.

They all worked fine until very recently when that white UI dominant glow started to appear (as discussed).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Adam

By:AdamSep 13, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Austin - yes, to get the effect of the previous shaders, you could select them all, and edit the Metalicity and Smoothness both to zero - that will emulate plain diffuse. Alternatively, it might be a task for a future research item to look at improving the OAR import process - providing more tools for getting materials right, etc.