1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report LOD attachments not working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Trilo, Dec 26, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Trilo

By:TriloDec 26, 2017

Working with a prerelease of 12p4, I am unable to get an attachment with LOD models to work properly on the 12.22 client.

The item I am working on is called Tux Bowtie, it is a unisex un-rigged bowtie attachment.

In the Clothing Item Settings panel, in the Slots section, I have set the item to unisex skeleton, the type has been set to Attachment, and I ticked the neck slot. When I changed the item from Rigged Clothing to Attachment, the third tab changed from being Rigging (where I would normally drag in the 3 LOD models) to Attachment... which does not have anyplace for me to specify the models.

After I finish the Clothing Item Settings and then fill in the Virtual Goods Script, and then later create the color patterns, everything uploads and processes normally, and then I can see the bow ties in my inventory on both male and female skeletons... but I am unable to wear them. Clicking on the attachment in the Outfit panel doesn't do anything.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  2. Trilo

By:TriloDec 28, 2017

Following up on this thread, talking to Adam at Office Hours today he mentioned that unrigged attachments setup is slightly different than rigged items.

Unrigged items aren't subject to the same polygon limits as rigged items, so assuming the item has a fairly reasonable polygon count then it can be set up with just the higher poly model and should be fine. Alternatively, the item can be set up as a regular Unity LODgroup, and then do the Clothing Item setup process.

The item I'm working on in particular is a bowtie and seems reasonable, so I'm just setting it up with the one model.

Updated to add..... that did not work. The item still appears in my inventory for both male/female skeletons, but when I click on it the item will not add to my current outfit. No other items are set to the neck slot, so it can't be a conflict with something else being worn, and the bowtie uses an existing category. I'm going to try and re-upload the patterns, in hopes that maybe everything needed to be re-uploaded as well.

3. Trilo

By:TriloDec 28, 2017

Re-uploading the patterns afterward had no affect.

4. Adam

By:AdamDec 29, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

I still need to look into this in detail - however, I am going to look at enabling the LOD slots for attachments as well - due to the mobile/webgl/etc - there is a good reason to have a 'low poly' variant option available.

5. Trilo

By:TriloJan 17, 2018

I think I'd mentioned it in chat, but following up here as well. Attachments are still not working. I went back and set the item up as a single model, and set it to unrigged unisex attachment. It uploaded and processed successfully, and shows up in my inventory... but the item can not be worn. Testing with the 18.01.05 client does not change anything, and using the Editor Pack 12p8 did not appear to change anything.

Scratching my head on this, I'm going to try testing this set to a specific gender. If the uploaded item works, then the problem is specific to unisex attachments being broken. If it doesn't, then it affects all unrigged attachments.

6. Trilo

The item set to a specific gender finished processing, but still does not work.

7. Trilo

When the item is set to Unisex attachment, if I leave the Attach To This Bone field blank and click prepare, I get this message in the console:

Code:
    Attachment type object - but missing BonePath - pick which bone this should attach to in the AttachToThisBone property
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ClothingItemSettingsBaseInternal:Prepare()
    SaveClothingBaseInternal:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    (side note, the text of this tab needs to be updated to reference the 2017 avatar models)

It is worth pointing out that on previous attachment items (hats, scarves, etc), we did not specify a bone that the item needed to be attached to.

8. Trilo

Okay, I got an attachment to work... and was also able to chat with Allen to understand what appear to be changes in how attachment setup works.

Previously, we never needed to specify an attachment bone. The item just got its position relative to the avatar (as it had been set up in Unity). Now, an attachment bone needs to be specified unless the attachment is rigged to a specific skeleton.

For unisex attachments, use one of the common bones (neck, head, right/left hand, etc), and when the item is processed it will be able to work with either male or female skeletons. I'll update the pieces I'm working on now, and then circle back on the older items to make sure everything's properly set up.

Thanks, Allen!

9. Adam

By:AdamJan 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey - attachments actually should always have needed a bone - even if you just dragged the avatar root in there (otherwise they don't know what to animate against.)

That said, that's actually a good idea - we could easily lookup what the closest bone is automatically.

Returning to the topic at hand - we will be implement LODs here the same as skinned items, we've realised LODGroup doesn't solve the issue of memory consumption at least for webgl/mobile, so that likely does need to be resolved going forward.

10. Trilo

By:TriloJan 19, 2018

Okay, keep me posted on when attachments get LOD support, and I can add it as an update.

11. Adam

By:AdamJan 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah - for now things are fine, but we will add that support. I don't think we'll add it for this upcoming release as I'm closing off new features while we stabilise the remaining issues.