1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Material Changing in Wardrobe

Discussion in 'General' started by Karma, Oct 9, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Karma

By:KarmaOct 9, 2018

Forgive me as I am still learning the interface.
    We have a mesh -- Leather Pant (#2117385) which admittedly we didn't test with a variety of other clothing items while in the previewer but notice now in-world that when you put on a shirt ... the pants change material slots.
    1LLP.png 2LLP.png

Now, if you take the shirt OFF, the pants stay mis-textured. You need to take the pants off and back on again. Then they stay put, as long as you don't add a shirt or shoes. I'm sure there's a diner joke in there about no service.

So two questions!
    Obviously, has anyone seen this before and have any pointers on what we did wrong setting the clothing item up? We aren't using cloth physics (though I tried a few times and just didn't like what I was getting for these. There are additional Deletion and Preservation zones added ... because the knees and legs are very different shape and the default skin removal needed tweaking. Most everything else seemed to be fairly standard/default settings. Oh, I have some metal bling turned on for the two pocket chains and the zipper textures. The pocket chains are also set to "cut out".

And second question .. how do I go back and HIDE a live item in the store while I'm fixing the mesh?

Deep bow.
  2. Adam

By:AdamOct 9, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey @Karma -

I'm not quite sure about that material issue - it definitely looks odd, and I'm a bit confused myself. I will need to take a look at the item to answer that q.

Re: disabling an item temporarily - you can either push an update through, or you can contact our support team (raise a support ticket). If it's urgent, you can find us on Discord and let us know - if you can give me the item ID, I can do it myself.

3. Karma

By:KarmaOct 9, 2018

Okay, we ticked the NOT FOR SALE and pushed UPDATE
    It's Leather Pant (#2117385)
    Let me know if there is any other details I can provide that would be helpful.

Thank you so much for your trouble.

4. Adam

By:AdamOct 9, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Done!

5. Karma

By:KarmaOct 10, 2018

In troubleshooting thus far on our end ...
    The settings for the pants are
    settingsskintight.png
    Male, rigged clothing, skingtight layer selected, with both legs and pelvis ticked.

The material anomaly seems to occur with shirts that go to the pelvis, however it does not occur in the shop while trying on tops.

For instance ....
    Here's a long t-shirt .. trying it on in the shop does not change the material of the pants. But after purchase (in preview server) when the shirt is put on in the outfit room, the material swaps and remains flawed in world after saving.
    longt.png longtinEditRoom.png

ON the other hand, if a short tank top is selected (which perhaps doesn't have pelvis selected?) then the pants remain intact in both the shop and the preview world.

shortvest.png

I'm not sure what to do with this, but maybe there's a setting somewhere I have that's wrong.

6. Adam

By:AdamOct 10, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

We're seeing this with another item as well - I'm investigating at the moment.

Ladydi likes this.
  7. Trilo

By:TriloOct 10, 2018

I haven't run into that issue myself.

Have you gone back to the preview grid to try testing the piece more extensively? I'm curious whether the issue is only happening on live vs. the preview grid. Also, yeah, you should test stuff as extensively as you can on preview before submitting to live. Not only to catch anything you might have missed, but to spot bugs and problems before content goes live.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

8. Karma

By:KarmaOct 10, 2018

Very helpful, thank you Trilo.
    Yes it happens live and in previewer. My err for not catching it, I tested the pants in various trials but had not thought about testing it with previewer shop clothing (tops). I have since done that and can confirm that the err does not occur in the previewer server shop, but does when the item in in-world on the preview server. So in brief, yes it happens both in preview grid and live.

I had thought lastnight that it may not occur with "shorter" tops, as I noted above with the tank. But on further testing, have since realized that the anomaly occurs when that short tank is taken off. Adam indicated he's seeing this with one other item. So I won't make changes to that one I have up .. but will put a second testing one in the previewer and play around with some of the material settings to see if I can narrow down the specific cause.

Deep bow.

9. Karma

By:KarmaOct 15, 2018

Still testing the material issues with this pant mesh.
    It seems to happen regardless of region and on the preview server with shoes or shirts.
    It also appears to not only change the material slots but to actually overlay them too .. so it's like two textures are combined one on top of the other.
    I've tried a variety of shader settings for the materials in addition to basic changes between opaque and cut-out etc. No difference.
    I did however take the same exported FBX and place it as an ATTACHMENT instead of a rigged mesh (which it obviously needs to be) and it does not appear that the attachment to a single bone causes the material glitch to occur with shoes or shirts etc.

I can make an issue tracker for this if that is of any help or provide what I can on my end to help narrow down the issue. Just let me if there is anything I can do to help.

Deep bow.