1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report Not same user-account for game and forum?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by bachatero2000, Jan 19, 2018.

Share This Page

1. bachatero2000

By:bachatero2000Jan 19, 2018

Maybe a "feature" and not a bug but it is a big if you ask me.

2. Adam

By:AdamJan 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey - we actually did that on purpose for security reasons.

Here's the long reason why:

We picked Xenforo for security reasons initially - it's got the best track record to being hacked (a typical way games get compromised) - however it also doesn't support external authentication; the solution they propose is we duplicate our data - store it in both the primary database (where we have control over securing it), and theirs (less so.) -- given the track record of forums in general, we decided not to do that. By keeping the databases separated, we minimise the damage in the event a forum does get compromised, and minimise the incentive.

(We do patch regularly and follow general best practices - but it's a risk we want to minimise.)

bachatero2000 likes this.
  3. bachatero2000

By:bachatero2000Jan 19, 2018

Ok...no biggie I guess...

Edit: A hey...its you from the game :)

4. Adam

By:AdamJan 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah it's a little annoying - and I'd love it if they could implement external authentication, but apparently it is not a priority; and if I have to pick between 'probably going to get hacked' and 'users have to register again', the latter wins.

bachatero2000 likes this.