1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

OAR file upload to space?

Discussion in 'General' started by dpentecost, Feb 3, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 3, 2017

I saw a reference to this in one of the Skype groups today. No one there seemed to have a link or an answer.

Given space's roots in both Opensim and Unity, is it possible to upload an OAR file? I have an old file that is a whole region in Opensim and would love to try it.

2. Spiral Silverstar

By:Spiral SilverstarFeb 3, 2017

3. Adam

By:AdamFeb 3, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Austin has done it - I believe it blogged the process. There's some info on his blog here.

I will note though - while I was a core dev in OpenSim, there's no OpenSim code in Space anymore. There used to be some back in 2009/2010, but it's long been rewritten out.

4. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 8, 2017

5. Markus

By:MarkusFeb 11, 2017

Have 'played' with the converter during the last days. The result in Unity is a bit strange - especially for the terrain. However, I was not able, uploading it to space because the server ends up with a processing error. Feel, that this relates to the resulting objects the converter created, but do not know this exactly.

There is a page in the sine wiki, describing the generall use of the windows version of the converter. https://wiki.sine.space/index.php?title=Regions/OpenSimImport

However, I was only able to get my oar converted with the linux version. Windows converter crashed on my system after a few minutes.

Strongly recommend only testing it with a small region with only a few objects to avoid running into the same problems than I did.

6. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 11, 2017

Thanks for the report and link Markus. I would try it on Mac. Haven't gotten up the courage yet!

7. Adam

By:AdamFeb 12, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Markus -

Just to let you know, I will be investigating the processing queue on monday, will have a look to see why it failed. I had a quick look in the log - looks like it failed due to a content error rather than any kind of timeout or weird process; it was a hard failure. Should be easy enough to figure out the cause, but I may need your help to test further.

8. Markus

By:MarkusFeb 18, 2017

Hey Adam, do you have a result? Would really be interested in knowing the object(s), responsible for the failure.