1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

OAR file upload to space?

Discussion in 'General' started by dpentecost, Feb 3, 2017.

Share This Page

1. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 3, 2017

I saw a reference to this in one of the Skype groups today. No one there seemed to have a link or an answer.

Given space's roots in both Opensim and Unity, is it possible to upload an OAR file? I have an old file that is a whole region in Opensim and would love to try it.

2. Spiral Silverstar

By:Spiral SilverstarFeb 3, 2017

3. Adam

By:AdamFeb 3, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Austin has done it - I believe it blogged the process. There's some info on his blog here.

I will note though - while I was a core dev in OpenSim, there's no OpenSim code in Space anymore. There used to be some back in 2009/2010, but it's long been rewritten out.

4. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 8, 2017

5. Markus

By:MarkusFeb 11, 2017

Have 'played' with the converter during the last days. The result in Unity is a bit strange - especially for the terrain. However, I was not able, uploading it to space because the server ends up with a processing error. Feel, that this relates to the resulting objects the converter created, but do not know this exactly.

There is a page in the sine wiki, describing the generall use of the windows version of the converter. https://wiki.sine.space/index.php?title=Regions/OpenSimImport

However, I was only able to get my oar converted with the linux version. Windows converter crashed on my system after a few minutes.

Strongly recommend only testing it with a small region with only a few objects to avoid running into the same problems than I did.

6. dpentecost

By:dpentecostFeb 11, 2017

Thanks for the report and link Markus. I would try it on Mac. Haven't gotten up the courage yet!

7. Adam

By:AdamFeb 12, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Markus -

Just to let you know, I will be investigating the processing queue on monday, will have a look to see why it failed. I had a quick look in the log - looks like it failed due to a content error rather than any kind of timeout or weird process; it was a hard failure. Should be easy enough to figure out the cause, but I may need your help to test further.

8. Markus

By:MarkusFeb 18, 2017

Hey Adam, do you have a result? Would really be interested in knowing the object(s), responsible for the failure.