1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

OpenSim Mesh Straight Transfer to Unity Space Project?

Discussion in 'General' started by ghaelen, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ghaelen

ghaelen Member

This is kind of a newb question but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one curious about it. I've just come roaring over to the Space site and have lots of pretty (organic) mesh objects I've built in Blender (trees, grain fields, etc. I want to import all my amazing objects into the Unity editor for the magnificent Space project I'm about to release to the world and I'm about to start pressing buttons.

Do I import the awesome tree that I've optimized for Second Life or the one for OpenSim? (the one for Opensim has not been crushed from 3000 down to 4 polys...)

If I import my awesome tree (either one) from Blender, can I make it sway in the Unity editor and then in the Space space online? Or do I have to do something first to prep it in Blender?

This kind of goes for other objects (grass, flowers, etc). Basically, can I use what I've built?

2. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

It depends a lot on the quantity you want in your scene - either works.

Typically, when building a scene, I aim for between 1 million and 2 million polygons. Higher/lower is fine too. It's very hard to give a "This is the answer" because performance can come down to a lot of factors. If you use things like LODGroups, then higher poly objects have basically no impact until you get up close; but even if you don't - it depends on how many you're spawning. Typically, the cost of drawing a single object is about equivalent to 4K triangles - so the cost difference between 300 and 3000 isn't tremendously high (the drawcall overhead is higher); batching will reduce that overhead however.

If you setup LODGroups - use both. If you don't - I'd favour the higher poly variant personally.

3. ghaelen

ghaelen Member

Thanks Adam, and for the link. That helps a lot, even if not a definitive answer. It sounds like a large part of optimization will happen in Unity itself (so long as my build is reasonable). Coming from both SL and OS, the "limited resources" were prims and then polys. Here those don't seem to be an issue unless I go nuts with the poly count. So the more I want to stuff into one region, the more I should look at the optimization tools.

4. Adam

Yep - you really can go a long way before you really need to start worrying about optimisation; but when do you get there, you do have a few tools to play with.

Some like LOD Groups you want to be working with sooner than later (since retrofitting existing content can be more difficult), but others like Occlusion Culling can be slapped on at the end.

5. ghaelen

ghaelen Member

One other question - I have a Opensim terrain that I'd like to duplicate in my Space space. Is there one best way to do that? I've tried importing a raw file and that isn't working so well. I've a height map, and have also converted that to a terrain.dae in Blender. I have the fbx import working with Blender/Unity, and the terrain looks good but is till a .dae. I've seen some instructions regarding scripts or plugins for converstion - what is best (if any) to use with the Space projects? Or can I just add collision to the .dae? (Sorry, don't see a toolbox or info for a .dae, only for a plane)

I do see, under Add Component (to the .dae), the Box Collider, Mesh Collider, Terrain Collider. Reading up on those, too - which one for this, if any?

The one thing I'd rather not do is start over with sculpting the terrain. At least not until I have at least one region open :)

The script I'm looking at is Object2Terrain

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  6. Adam

You can use a Mesh Collider. The best method would /probably/ be to import the .raw into Unity's own Terrain - you will need to convert it from SL's silly raw format into a proper R16 or R32 raw; that might be a bit more difficult - I have vague memories I added a 'R32' export option to OpenSim many years ago.

Otherwise, bring in as a DAE (although I would personally strongly recommend using FBX or OBJ over DAE) - and add a mesh collider.

7. ghaelen

ghaelen Member

Thanks, that helps. Off to do some testing :)

Adam likes this.