1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Music in the Welcome Center?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiral Silverstar, Oct 9, 2018.

Share This Page

?

Would Music played 24/7 in the Welcome Center make everyone's experience better?

1. YES! Music is Life!

42.9%
  2. MAYBE, but it depends on the type of music being played.

42.9%
  3. NO. Music of any genre adds nothing to the overall experience.

14.3%
  1. Spiral Silverstar

By:Spiral SilverstarOct 9, 2018

I don't visit the Welcome Center very often, except for Events there. However, I'd Like to do so more often but for the fact there the only sound there is that of running water. So I thought I would try a Poll to get other users' thoughts on this topic. Even softly played ambient music, for me is far better than no music at all.

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. Albert Schweitzer

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

ArcticRose and Ladydi like this.
  2. Jimbo Mimulus

By:Jimbo MimulusOct 9, 2018

Maybe something soothing.

Whilst thrash metal playing at 120 decibels may be some peoples idea of heaven, I don't think it would be appreciated by the masses.

The same could be said for just about every genre of music.

However I am inclined to agree that "something" would be a vast improvement on the sound of running water ... That just makes you want to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

Ladydi likes this.
  3. Dolome Demonia

By:Dolome DemoniaOct 9, 2018
    Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

We have completed a stream player for the welcome center that will ask you if you want it to play. if you choose yes or now there will still be a small box at the top of your screen to change that choice. No one will automatically hear music when landing in the welcome center.

I hope this will be a suitable solution to those that love music and those that don't want to hear it.

Calum, Ladydi and ghaelen like this.
  4. Spiral Silverstar

By:Spiral SilverstarOct 9, 2018

WooHoo!! Now, that is a Great solution to the issue! Thanks very much. :cool:

Ladydi likes this.
  5. Trilo

By:TriloOct 10, 2018

At long last! Music is wonderful, but also incredibly subjective (there are lots and lots of studies out there on music in places of business). So even if the streaming is/was flawless, if the choice in music turned out to be something that the visitor/new arrival didn't care for, then you've already subconsciously sent negative messages to the potential user/customer. I thought forcing all new users to listen at the welcome center unless they opt out (by switching off streaming) sent the wrong message, I'm glad to see that it's finally going back to no default music, and then offering newcomers a choice to opt in.

6. Trilo

By:TriloNov 9, 2018

Hooray for offering choice, but the current implementation leaves something to be desired. Is there a way to either delay that popup, or make turning on music that somebody has to click on? I'm not a fan of popups on web sites or in other virtual worlds, I would prefer something that I can click on when I want to hear music in the welcome center, or saving my setting like with other preferences and not be forced to make that preference choice every time I teleport in.

7. Karma

By:KarmaNov 10, 2018

One of the nice things about having music, is that it encourages people to go to the welcome center and hang out. Seeing people interacting and having a good time makes space look popular. An alternative to the pop up stream might be a proximity radio. I like how you can hear the water near the fountains when you walk up .. having a proximity radio would allow for people to still come together and dance and for newcomers they are free to roam around reading the bulletin boards and tutorials where presumably the distance would be to far to hear the music.