1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post your tutorial recommendations here!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trilo, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Trilo

Trilo Active Member

Hello there, fellow Space Explorers and Space Commanders! Let's help this community grow by giving a leg up to other content creators. Remember those early days when it took ages to figure out something really basic, but then you stumbled on a tutorial (either a page or a video) that you thought was really helpful?

Let's help the newer folks out and share some of the things that we found helpful.

2. Trilo

Trilo Active Member

Naturally, the minute I started creating the thread I drew a blank on what I wanted to mention... o_O

Scratching my head a minute, this one springs to mind - setting up LOD models for Unity.

AshaSekayi likes this.
  3. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

4. Trilo

Trilo Active Member

Not a tutorial, but still highly recommended... AutoSaver

Ever spent long hours on a project only to have something crash (or the power goes out) only to realize that you hadn't saved it in ages and lost most of your work? That link above is a free Unity Asset Store add-on that gives you a customizable auto-save function. Once you add it, you'll get an autosave tab in your preferences, where you can configure how you want it to run.

[​IMG]

Hat-tip to James who started the conversation in chat following a power outage, and ohnoitserp for linking me to this great little utility.

5. Trilo

Trilo Active Member

Here's another solid tutorial, from Adam Goodrich (creator of Gaia and Gena add-ons for Unity).

Mobile scene optimization tips for Unity

While it's geared towards optimizing for mobile users, it's got what appears to be some great advice for getting better performance in your scenes (regions) overall. This might come in especially useful for those out there working on projects for education and corporate clients, since a lot of those users are going to be on pretty average hardware. Increasing performance can help you deliver a better experience, and hopefully make your projects even more successful.

6. Adam

This is really for people doing high-end stuff, but if you're interested in making super high-def skins, this is a must read: http://www.iryoku.com/stare-into-the-future - I'm going to see if I can retrofit this into the space default skin shaders at some point.

7. pseudolukian

pseudolukian New Member

I would like to find a tutorial first steps.
    For example:

1st create account
    2nd prepare unity
    3nd create a room, just a simply flat green plate and jump on it ;) so you can then find out the rest

8. Adam