1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Realtime lights not working - any ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

Hi Everyone.
    I have an interior scene with a mix of baked and realtime light. My realtime lights are not rendering when uploaded to Space. Has anyone else experienced this? Just looking for some clues as to what I may try next. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

That does sound odd - do you have a test region I can look at?

And are you testing in the desktop browser or WebGL - in WebGL, I believe only the nearest 2/4/8 pixel lights are calculated (depending on the setup)?

3. Alex

Alex New Member

Thanks Adam. I'm concentrating on Desktop for now. Realtime light are not working here - Skye Warehouse Loft Test 5 - which has 7 or 8 lights
    And I have a simplified version (where a single realtime works ok) here: SWL_TEST3

4. Adam

OK, thanks - I'm going to be away today, but if you can hold 24 hours, I can pull it up in my editor and see if I can give you any hints.

5. Alex

Alex New Member

no worries. thanks!

6. Adam

Sorry for the delay - had to go out of town today, I'll take a look and give you my notes.

7. Adam

Thanks for these test scenes - really nicely constructed scenes, they look fab; I can't wait to see them finished.

OK: so - good news and bad news.

Good news: they appear to be working for me. I found several spotlights in the scene marked realtime, and they do appear to render OK in the latest release viewer (also the editor viewer I test with).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find some area lights too - but those will never work in realtime (they're "Baked Only", and you need to use Baked GI + Light Probes to see them)

Bad news: I didn't find a bug or an easy answer.

Can I get the following info from you:

- Operating system
    - GPU: AMD, nVidia or Intel?
    - If you click the settings button in the lower-right (the gear icon), what setting on the bar has it been dragged to?

Thanks!

Adam

8. Alex

Alex New Member

Hi Adam

Thanks! I'll try the latest viewer and see if things work.
    I must have left those area lights in there - there were, as you suggest, there for baking only! Will delete!

operating system is MAC OS10.11.6
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB
    On full settings

thanks

Alex

9. Adam

Thanks! I'll look into any OpenGL/AMD issues.

Re: lights - don't bother deleting them, baked ones have no performance cost; and it's easier next time you bake the scene.

10. Adam

OK, one more quick request - when you're next inworld, can you hit Shift+~ (or Shift+`) to open the graphics debug screen in the top-left, and screenshot it for me?

(Need to get some information on your detected GL level)

Thanks!

(Edit: Top-left, not top-right)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. Alex

Alex New Member

done!

Attached Files:

• gl.jpg
      gl.jpg
      File size:
      290.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Adam

Thankyou - that's a huge help!

13. Adam

A quick idea: it will lower the graphics quality a bit, but it might resolve this -

type this into your chat window:
    /render_forward

And hit send - does that resolve it?

14. Alex

Alex New Member

Not much difference but I do notice that some of the lights are now rendering (light and shadows) - in the corridor and deck area (the ones you can see in the pics) - but not in the main space where there are 3 spots still not rendering. Sorry, I'm not sure and can't test if I made a mistake or it has changed!

15. Adam

Oh, I thought it was the ones in the hallway. Let me check again, I didn't notice those.