1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Script example/templates

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ren, Mar 31, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Ren

By:RenMar 31, 2018

As a creator from SL, I was aware of some example that covered a lot of the info needed to do most things, so would love to see that here. Keeping the examples on point and simple, and not trying to cover more than one topic at a time.

Also posting this ‘request’ as I’m not sure what Sinespace is capable of at this time, what functions are unlocked (Yes I have seen the wiki, but that jumping in at the deep end, and that would be a refresher reference, not a learning tool –noted there is an example on there for some basic stuff)

So her’s my list of essential examples (What people new to this sort of scripting would love to know)

A gun-

A script that produces a physical projectile, taking into account the direction the placer is facing. Also including adjustments to projectile speed within the code.

- This is not just for guns but will relate to all sorts of physically directed objects, could be falling rocks, used in a ‘duck hunt’ arcade stall, even just popping balloons with an air gun :). It’s a very important game mechanic

Touch script-

Yes there seem to be some sort of clickable, and maybe it can handle what I’m going to ask for, so and example would be nice :)

- Dealing with who is touching the object, be it the creator, land owner or other and their ID/key.

Very useful for menu driven systems, where you are creating a system with admin functions that you would like to hide from all other players, apart from the owner (E.g. door locking). Also useful for locking to a current avatar, if there is some sort of ‘Key’ system so we can store and check who is interacting with an object

- Another touch example dealing with storing names, times, click, location ect would cover a lot of other useful snippets used in many other things. This will contain a lot of methods needed in creating simple games (e.g scoring and progression). But best not to jam it all into one ‘touch’ example.

Randomization –

Yes, example of this are easy to find if you look on the net… randomizing seed and stuff, but yet again, this is going outside of Sinespace and it would be nice to have it all in one area.

- A script showing how to use random functions. Can also show other math functions within this script (have 3 values, randomly select one, and add random values to that selected value, then do a logic test to say which is higher, and stick it in a timed loop – lots of useful snippets in a small script)

Randomization is key to all games

Dealing with ‘networked’ data, e.g data save to the sever/region

I have no idea what the restriction or limits are here, not looked into it yet.

Being able to save data to the server, making it persistence is key to giving players ‘agency’ (making them feel as if they have made a change). For example, if you have a farm plot where the player can plant seeds and water them, and wait for them to grow… well if this isn’t persistent, they would have to wait on the server all for the actions to take place (waiting for the grow timer). Also, is it persistence while no one is present? (if a tree falls in the woods, is it persistence :p)

People like actions to take place while they are not there. There is satisfaction it setting something up and letting it do its own thing, then coming to collect. This keeps people interest in a game, they can still play , but in a ‘light’ way and still progress.

------

*I’m coming at this from the angle of game design and play. What I think we would need to see, know in order to make games that work in a Virtual world environment that’s not just a social platform with a few casual games.

Role play and long term progression games need to handle persistent data, and I don’t even know if that an option (player data @player e.g hud stats and server data, object states and such). I’m hoping we don’t have to use an external data base and ‘call’ it, I hate them things, and have to relearn. This could put a lot of people off.

There is a lot more people would need to know, but these basic would give them a feel for the Sinespace environment, and make them feel more comfortable with investing time.

This is a worry for me, before learning more, I keep asking myself, ‘what can the Sinespace platform do for me’. If I had these example too hand, I could get stuck in and feel that it had at least some of the needed tools (No don’t tell me there a quest system :p)

**(I know some of these examples may exist, or even some nice people will make some, that’s cool for me, but I had to come here and ask. It would be nice if there was a section including these main areas of scripting, a jumping off point for new users who already know the logic of scripting, so they can easily convert their skills to Sinespace. See it as the next step from ‘Hello world’)

ZareShadows likes this.
  2. Adam

By:AdamApr 2, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Ren - thanks for starting this topic; I do have some examples on those lines sitting around. I can clean them up during this week.

The wiki and the main scripting API docs will be worth browsing for general capabilities (actually scripting docs might be better...) - you can see those here: http://space-files.s3.amazonaws.com/docs/client-scripting/annotated.html

Will give a proper reply later! :)

3. Trilo

By:TriloApr 2, 2018

I'd be interested to know if there are any visual scripting tools (free or paid asset) that would be capable of working with SineSpace (as in lua-capable as well as whitelisted).

4. Adam

By:AdamApr 3, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

5. Trilo

By:TriloApr 7, 2018

As a general answer to the broad question... I know from chat conversations and attending Office Hours that Sine Wave has pretty ambitious plans for documentation and examples. However, in these very early days most of the time and energy is going into building core functionality (we still don't even have decent camera controls) and bugfixing. Much of the documentation that's on the wiki is getting added by users (any SineSpace user may register and edit/create pages). As you learn and get up to speed on something, please take the time to share some of that knowledge by filling in a page or three on the wiki. Remember, the person you help today may be able to help you tomorrow :)