1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

So Many Attempts to Rig Something, Failing So Much!

Discussion in 'General' started by Lexii Lenoire, Aug 11, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Lexii Lenoire

By:Lexii LenoireAug 11, 2018

I have tried countless times on 3 objects I have made, all considered "Clothing" for sinespace. I have tried so many times to progress it into being a rigged model, but every single time I upload it and it processes, and goes into staging, I log on and test it, wear it on my avatar, it is not rigged. It moves with my avatar (AWSD movement wise), but no animation overrides, no animations in general.

I weight painted it in blender, and also have gone without weight painting. I have parented it, and gone without. I have set in the script for Clothing Item Settings, selected it's primary slots, selected auto skinning, finalized it over and over and converted and reconverted, making it an "attachment" and attaching it to the reference skeleton structure, all sorts of combinations of things, but all I get are static attachments in-world. They either end up hovering there where the base avatar would be, or a model that is static and turned forward at a weird rotated angle, and even worse. I have not been able to get any of my 3 objects weighted/rigged/working properly from Unity yo Sinespace. It WORKS IN BLENDER, but works NOWHERE else. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you!

2. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerDec 3, 2018

Hiya Lexi,
    I just went through this and man its a pain....:) Wish I had unity in front of me for some pics for you, I will try and edit it later tonight when home.
    I can tell you what works for me...and that should be taken on a half based notion because I am still yet to have a character approved. Which they still need tweeked but I learn from the moderators advice given.
    1. I have found Mixamo to be the easiest way to rig anything in Sinespace as they both use the same rigging system, plus you get free animations to use. Just upload your character and it will walk you through rigging, its as simple as placing circles over certain spots to rig. I should also say that if its already rigged take it into blender and clean the rig so its a clean model no rigging before taking into Mixamo
    2. I have also found its easier to import the Female 2017 model into Blender to line up the model and the sinespace model, Yes when you attach the clothing settings and hit costume it does preview the avatar and you can tweek there also but I like to have it close when taking it into Unity.
    3.SETTINGS For A Full Costume:
    DO NOT CHECK apply root motion in animator, leave it blank- This fixed it for me
    Clothing Settings:
    First Tab- set as a attachment, click pelvis and chest for slots
    Costume Tab- click costume (this checks the costume tab in slots for you) and your prefab of costume to target box
    Upload- hit finalize this attaches the costume to the root bone.

you will need two Sinespace Scripts to upload into Sinespace clothing settings script and the virtual goods script.

So Recap~
    Clean the model of rigging and size in Blender
    Take to Mixamo and Rig
    Upload to Unity, make a Prefab
    Add Cloth Settings Scripts and Virtualgoods scripts and adjust and config settings.

something else that strikes me you might want to check or do.
    When you bring a model into unity make sure that the rig is Humanoid and not generic, that kinda sounds to me like what you have going on.
    [​IMG]
    your going to want to change this to humanoid before placing into a prefab, and any animations should also be changed to humanoid to work.
    Hope this helps, like I say I am in NO way a expert, just someone who has been working on the same issues and found solutions from the great help here.

3. Trilo

By:TriloDec 3, 2018

A couple things to note - first, the OP is from August - hopefully by now they have discovered the SineSpace youtube channel. There are a number of tutorials that cover clothing, If watching once isn't enough, watch again and again. When we started 2 years ago there were far fewer tutorials and how-to's but the one or two videos (at the time) they had up were enough to work out what we needed.

Second, please do NOT resort fo bypass avatars for something so simple. While the full body replacement/costume avatar system can be used for humanoid avatars, its primary use should be non-human shapes (horses, spiders, elephants, etc) and non-player characters that would always need a fixed look. Since they're replacing and bypassing the SineSpace avatar, they lose all the actual benefits of the SineSpace avatar... shape and body sliders do not work, can not wear avatar clothing, can not wear attachments, and they're incompatible with the facial driver (the cool little gizmo available in the shop for using your computer's webcam to animate your avatar's facial expressions).

If you're trying to make clothing, watch the tutorials and learn to make clothing. The first piece is hard because it's a process you're not familiar with, but once you get it going the system works well and you're making content that gives yourself and potential customers a piece that's easily worn in conjunction with other pieces and doesn't force users down a dead-end road. If you're trying to make whole humanoid avatars, watch the tutorials and learn to make them as real full featured avatars. That way you and your customers can use them normally (the ability to change clothes is an avatar's right, not a feature ;)).

4. Saphy Riler

By:Saphy RilerDec 4, 2018

Oh snap, sorry Trilo let me clerify,
    I did notice it was from Auguest, and I also noticed no one offered any advice. Perhaps I was not the best suited to comment and offer help, but being someone who looks for help on a daily basis because its new, I can tell you that to not find the answer you are looking for can truly discourage even the most enthused person to walk away, Sinespace loses Money.
    Correct this post is a few months old...but that does not mean it should go unanswered.
    I am not endorsing full character HUMAN avatars ro replace Sinespace default.,but as you say-
    It is also a persons right to be who they want to be if I choose to be a animee avatar am I wrong for wanting to create something different or to offer my advice as to what has worked for me?
    Correct- it should work with sinespaces "goodies" I never implied any different.
    I was only trying to offer something to a post that sat with nothing for MONTHS.

That's twice your post have felt insulting and smug. *throws the white flag*
    That's the problem with text is you do not know the intention behind the words so I am going to assume that I, my characters, my money, my posting in the forum is welcomed in Sinespace and that perhaps I am taking you wrong.
    A wise man once told me "Contribution leads to growth, dictatorship leads to closed projects."
    I am here to learn and to contribute and have a little fun and to soak up what's in your brain as you throw us bits of knowledge.
    If I offended I am sorry, for being a pain in the ass...I won't aplogize for wanting to learn.
    *licks your nose than grins real wide*
    Yep I am a pain in the ASS!

5. Trilo

By:TriloDec 4, 2018

It's entirely possible/likely that the OP got a response either in a chat channel or on Discord. I couldn't really say, while I'm around quite frequently during most of the year I'm not really around for much of August and September. All that aside, there's nothing inherently wrong with responding to something that's months-old... the frustration I had was with the advice.

I'm sorry that you read my words as smug, I'm a little put off at being so quick to steer people away from the tools to make wearable content. One of the greatest features of a virtual world is the ability for users to greatly customize their avatar, and the bypass avatars (which are anything you create using the 'full body costume' process) cut all those features out of the equation.

As for the dictatorship stuff, I'm not sure where that is coming from. In my response I asked (and said please) to not resort to using the costume avatars instead of learning to create normal wearables (or full featured avatars). I mean it. Please. You're welcome to do whatever you want, of course, but as both a maker and a user who shops and likes to customize his avatar, I prefer content that lets me pick and choose different pieces and doesn't force me into a fixed and unchangeable set of options.

Of course people are welcome to be an anime avatar, but to create those avatars as full costume (aka bypass) instead of making them as an actual SineSpace avatar cuts the user (and anybody they sell their goods to) out of the ability to use clothing, attachments and shape sliders. It's a shame.