1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report Stockings stick through boots

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Trilo, Apr 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Trilo

By:TriloApr 1, 2017

I've been posting about this in chat and filed tickets, so adding here in the hopes that eventually somebody can get around to this (I've been hearing it's an easy fix for months now)...

This problem had existed through the 2016/Unity 5.3.7 builds, but was fixed with the first Unity 5.5 build (I think it was 170127). It returned in the early February build, and is worse in the 170222 build. While occlusion works for feet in boots, it is broken if the avatar is wearing stockings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things looked like they were getting better (but still broken and reported) in the 0321 build, but in the 0331 desktop client they're completely broken again.

2. Adam

By:AdamApr 1, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Can you test to see if they misbehave after equipping/unequipping and also relogging - we haven't changed any of the code on avatars since the 0321 builds. I'm suspecting this is some kind of intermittent issue.

(I also think it's related to the offset deletion zones we were discussing earlier - so I'm hoping fixing that will put an end to this bug for good.)

3. Trilo

By:TriloApr 3, 2017

Yes, it persisted even after relogging.

The behavior did change slightly on the 0.4.1 client. It's still fully broken in the Wardrobe Panel, but after saving and closing it occludes a portion of the foot.

[​IMG]

Relogging causes the foot to stick fully through for 10-15 seconds, and then it snaps back to just the toes.

I have not been able to experiment with deletion zones, because it's been completely broken in the last several builds (no way to test). However, the Wardrobe Panel issue is still significant, as a customer/user would 'try it on' in the panel and see a broken result.

On a side note, if you had some way for users to upload or attach pictures directly, I would not have to post pictures of all the stuff that's broken in Space on public (and indexable/searchable) sites elsewhere on the internet.

4. Adam

By:AdamApr 3, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

We should allow you to upload images into the threads already - there's a little 'Upload a file' if you click that, it should let you embed it in a post. :)

Will be looking at this in a moment actually; I did suspect that it's only happening some of the time - with the wardrobe that confirms it.

5. Trilo

By:TriloApr 3, 2017

Ah, good to know... I was looking at the message editor toolbar.

Adjusting the deletion zone (and making a really big one) did not appear to help.

6. Adam

By:AdamApr 3, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

OK, literally looking into it now, hopefully get some easy answers to fit it into tomorrows build. :)

7. Trilo

By:TriloApr 7, 2017

This has finally seen some progress in the 170406 client. It remains broken in the wardrobe panel, and then takes several seconds of being in-world before it kicks in. Also, when re-logging or teleporting, the stockings poke through at first and takes 10-20 seconds after the user gains control of the avatar before the feet disappear.

If the occlusion does not happen until the Wardrobe Panel is saved and closed while wearing the item, there needs to be a big fat disclaimer reminding users that clothing will not be tucked and occluded until after the window is closed. My concern is that to the average user, stockings poking through the feet is a sign that either the software isn't working right, or that the clothing item is badly made and not working... they probably would be very reluctant to buy an item that was visibly broken to them.

8. Adam

By:AdamApr 7, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah - I think what we might do is put a little rotating spinner above avatars which are still tucking. It usually takes around 10-15 seconds on most computers to run the occlusion process. I am actually curious if we could move it into a compute shader (might be able to make it instant). For now a spinner is pretty easy to do though - we could do it while the whole avatar is loading actually.

9. Trilo

By:TriloApr 11, 2017

Tucking and occlusion seems to be a lot more broken on the wardrobe panel. Clothing items no longer obscure the avatar body 100% of the time, sometimes it's fine but other times it looks like the image below.
    tuck1.png

After saving and closing, it stays like that (see below) for several seconds before eventually kicking in.
    tuck2.png

Previously, and what I'd expected, is for the body to be obscured by the clothing in the wardrobe panel as well as without any delay in-world. It still does this some of the time.

10. Adam

By:AdamApr 11, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Ack - will take a look -- only happens some of the time?

11. Trilo

By:TriloApr 11, 2017

Yeah, when I popped the wardrobe panel open again and picked a different color, it was fine. Switching back to the brown coat also worked without any issue at a later point.

12. Adam

By:AdamApr 11, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

How odd. :| I'll see if I can get a repro from someone.

13. Trilo

By:TriloApr 13, 2017

This appears to be fixed in the 170413 build - woohoo!

14. Trilo

By:TriloApr 13, 2017

Scratch that, it's not fixed. But I have isolated it a bit. The issue only happens if you open the wardrobe panel and then either close it using the X at the top right, or click the Discard changes button.

15. Trilo

By:TriloApr 26, 2017

This is broken again in the 170425 build. No attempt to occlude the stockings whatsoever after saving and closing.

16. Trilo

By:TriloApr 26, 2017

Strange... putting the broken stockings on and then relogging appears to have fixed it. Upon logging back in, the stockings occlude as expected, and occlusion also appears to work normally after taking them off and trying on different pairs. Hopefully that was just an isolated hiccup?

17. Adam

By:AdamApr 26, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

It's a Heisenbug. If you see it again and have any clue what triggered it, let me know

18. Trilo

By:TriloMay 28, 2017

This problem is back in the 170525 client... sort of. There initially appears to be no attempt at occlusion whatsoever, for more than a minute after putting the item on and then saving/closing the wardrobe panel. A reboot also did not help. Then, inexplicably, more than a minute after the stockings occluded.

I believe that occlusion and tucking needs to happen at the point of preview in the wardrobe or shopping panel. When the average user comes into Space with the understanding that things just work 'automagically' and they are in a virtual store or using the Shop button to try on virtual goods, it is important that they can accurately see how it will look on their avatar should they buy the item. If previews aren't correct, users will likely assume that either Space or the content isn't working correctly, and may not buy the item.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  19. Adam

By:AdamMay 29, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hrrm. The problem with the occlusion is it takes a fairly healthy number of calculations to happen - and since it's any clothing to any clothing (versus a fixed target), we can't precompute to assist. If we ran it "instantly" - it'd pause the screen for a good ~3-10s on most PCs. (which is awful when new avatars load, this happening - we had a bug that caused this back in December over the Christmas party)

I thought about using compute shaders here - but unfortunately they're not available reliably everywhere yet (i.e. Mac is only supported on Metal, but Metal has other issues). Now theoretically, we only need to get around a 10-20x speedup before this is something we can just justify a hiccup on; which isn't unobtainable - but it's not quite fast enough yet to run in the wardrobe screen.

There is however one exception to this - the zone based deletion, that can be done very quickly (and in this particular case, ideal) - we're in the process of revising avatar mechanics at the moment, so I'll see if I can move that upwards in the chain.

20. Trilo

By:TriloMay 29, 2017

That leaves things in an awkward position. Without a big disclaimer telling users that Space previews and wardrobe panels are not accurate, most people will believe that the client or the content is broken, which will continue to negatively impact sales and shared revenue.

Would it be possible for there to be a user preference to see live previews (knowing there might be a performance hit)? That way if someone on a slower machine didn't want to take the hit they could disable it, but ppl who wanted to make sure content worked... could do that.