1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Script additions

Discussion in 'General' started by nebadon, Oct 8, 2016.

1. nebadon

nebadon New Member

I have been doing extensive testing on the vehicle scripts, I would like to see a few additions to functionality.

A) Ability to have sit position offset so each vehicle does not need a custom pose to work correctly. (Maybe have a invisible object in the mesh that we drag into a field like the pose and wheels so we can set this location in our build tool like Blender or 3DS Max instead of trying to do this in Unity which is somewhat impossible to visualize the avatar sitting in the vehicle due to locked camera, possibly just Z adjust only, ie drag the seat into the field and then adjust Z +/-)
    B) Ability to have manual gear shifting (this may already be possible but undocumented?)
    C) Ability to set a texture for tires to leave imprint track on the ground
    D) Ability to change camera view on key click or HUD overlay
    E) Particle effects for burn out, exhaust fumes and exhaust flames for turbo.
    F) Turbo button (optional)
    G) HUD Information displays, Speed, Timers other various race related information laps etc..
    H) Have vehicles interact differently with different surfaces, ie Ice, Wet roads, mud, cobblestone.
    I) Ability to have rigged suspension struts and shocks, swing arms that move with the tires.
    J) Color change/Texture change script Hud or something like that, minimize amount of vehicles/objects in the store.
    K) 6 Wheel 3 Axel vehicles.
    L) Working Lights, headlights, brake lights. (laser cannons??)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. nebadon

nebadon New Member

In addition to these feature add-ons there seem to be some major deficiencies with the current vehicle scripts, it seems when you select rear wheel drive certain variables are simply ignored like torque and setting gear ratios, the vehicle always feel really slow, and with all wheel drive I have tried 100s of combos of numbers and have not been able to make a vehicle that isn't nearly impossible to control. Need to really improve the functionality of the script as well.

3. nebadon

nebadon New Member

4. nebadon

nebadon New Member

5. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

OK, one by one:

A: Yes, agreed - we'll add that feature in, along with I think we'll make/find some default poses which work for a few vehicles.
    B: This was a feature previously enabled, I'll look at re-enabling it.
    C: This can be done already - there's a few methods: a) trail renderer (this is getting upgrades in 5.5 which will make it a better solution), b) particle systems set to collide with ground and given a horizontal renderer
    D: Makes sense. Potentially could be done with Focus Camera script, but I think some kind of modes here makes better sense.
    E: Will instead add generic component to control particle FX with velocity & momentum data (more versatile for other purposes)
    F: Makes sense.
    G: Yeah we had some before, I think some components which allow you to use existing GUI features in Unity would be best.
    H: Already possible - look into 'Physics Materials'
    I: Yes, already possible using the joints system - may be a little complicated to get started with though.
    J: We're looking at bringing patterns to gameobjects - the same as we have for clothing, this'd be the best solution.
    K: Possible already - right now it only allows 2WD/4WD -- but you can have extra wheels rigged using wheel colliders just fine.
    L: Lights are possible, just attach spotlights/etc to your car. Having components turn off/on with the vehicle being enabled/disabled would make a sensible addition.

6. Adam

Adam Developer Staff Member Moderator

We're going to be updating vehicles in the next editor pack, so I'm bumping this thread up - if anyone else has ideas or feedback for vehicles.