1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Report WebGL Explore Tab Crash

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by ghaelen, Dec 28, 2017.

Share This Page

1. ghaelen

By:ghaelenDec 28, 2017
    Staff Member Moderator

I went into my region using webGL this morning and when I clicked on the Explore tab, an error message appeared and the screen froze.

28Dec2017.jpg

2. Adam

By:AdamJan 19, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey there - this is unfortunately HTML5/WebGL to a degree - we've got very limited memory to work with, and sometimes the browser tells us we can't even have that (via errors like the above!)

The biggest cause of this I see is hitting the refresh button - in Chrome, memory is allocated on a per domain basis - e.g. *.sine.space can take XXmb of system RAM, when you refresh it doesn't necessarily clear it from the previous session right away, which causes a compounding issue that things that run on the limit don't work as well.

We're at the moment really waiting for WebAssembly to fix this mess properly - it introduces a proper memory model for web applications. But it is still a somewhat evolving technology.