1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, we have two Skype groups for space early users - if you're creating content, or need help, feel free to join in either the the beginners or advanced users groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want to make?

Discussion in 'General' started by Adam, Oct 25, 2016.

Share This Page

1. James Stallings

By:James StallingsDec 3, 2017

Aribeth, you can pretty much do all the things; but it would be difficult to answer all your questions comprehensively at once, even if I could :D

So, I'll say this: you aren't wandering in the woods with your observations and questions, in fact you're pretty much right on 'the path'. You are correct that blender models and rigs will be of great use; that said, you dont /have/ to use blender, just about any capable digital 3D design tool will do. Of course, proficiency with tools like photoshop or the Gimp do not go wasted either.

The thing to know about doing content work in SineSpace vs. doing it in Unity3D, is that SineSpace is a set of Unity Editor Extensions, and there is a client enabling a security model and realtime experience sharing (and a bit of managerial service structure on the backend). Really, when you do SineSpace content, you're doing Unity3D content, up to a point.

Perhaps the greatest difference is that unless you have (a) white label region(s), any coding you do will be in Lua, instead of c#.

My advice: keep on doing what you're doing! Make stuff with blender, even if you cant put it straight to use. The models will then be there when you are ready. In the meantime, keep asking questions and filling in the blanks in your knowledge and understanding.

You will progress :D

Cheers and welcome to the fun!

Aribeth likes this.
  2. Adam

By:AdamDec 4, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

OK, so -

Kitsune tails (yay! I wanted to do a masterclass on this at some point) - here's the best way:
    - Create, rig and animate the tail as it's own thing. Have the root where it connects to the body.
    - Upload as an attachment

Gem shader: you -might- be able to get away with a ultra smooth surface on the Standard shader (failing that, look at bundling in a reflection map manually); any shader you use on a clothing item - should - work in the finished product as you wrote it (as long as you haven't made it platform specific).

Video games: it should be possible, but I suspect we'll need to support you adding more and more Lua APIs as time goes on, I'd guess we're around 10-20% of the Unity API to date, but if there's specific items needed, add them to the request pile.

Aribeth likes this.
  3. Aribeth

By:AribethDec 5, 2017

So it does work how I thought it would, I wasn't sure, but it seemed the most logical way to do it.

The unity one just needs tweaks I think. I want to get as close to the one I have made up in blender, so I'm not baking in the refracted light. There just isn't anything in the base shader to do that, though otherwise its great.

The game idea is long term - I need to finish my classes related - though I guess I'd best try and figure out lua [it has to be better than some world/application specific languages I've muddled with though. :D

4. Aribeth

By:AribethDec 5, 2017

I mention Blender because its what I already use - its like an old, well worn in shoe by this point. :D

Mostly it is figuring in how to turn familiarity with other virtual worlds and with Unity in general to how things work here.

5. Adam

By:AdamDec 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

The Lua stuff should be mostly straight forward, I've tried to limit gotchas - although we need to add better debugging/profiling to scripting still (that is coming though, we've got a internal debugger already). I will really be keen to see the tail stuff though, I've been wanting to do that myself for a while. :)

Aribeth likes this.