1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

What impacts in world load?

Discussion in 'General' started by Karma, Nov 16, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Karma

By:KarmaNov 16, 2018

I know about poly counts in my models and texture size. But I'm having a hard time gauging how/why some meshes seem larger than I think they should be.

For example, we have a Christmas tree that has a slew of materials and various settings that use emissive values and a particle system. And it says that it's 3.68MB. Seems fair. ex1.jpg

But we have another "simple" item that's a flat single material neon sign with one png and emissive values and it shows a size of 3.71MB.
    Ex2.jpg

My first thought was it was something about the FBX file import for the sign file. idky. So instead I created a plane using Unity only and created the material rather than importing it from the FBX file. But still ... the resulting product has close to the same impact as a full 3D tree.
    ex3.jpg

The png we are using for the sign seems consistent with any one of the textures in the tree or our other products. We created a custom neon sign for someone a couple days ago. Same deal. It was 3.34 MB.

I must be missing something and I'll keep trying to track it down but if anyone has any pointers on what could be causing what should be a simple flat surface emmisive sign to be the same size as a more complex 3D model that uses several materials and emissive settings I'd appreciate any leads.

Deep bow. :)

2. Adam

By:AdamNov 18, 2018
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Karma - how well it compresses can be a big factor.

We do ship a tool which can analyse the filesizes of a particular prefab; from memory it's Sinespace->Tools->Analyse Selected Object Dependencies - that can be helpful in tracking down the cause.

3. Trilo

By:TriloNov 18, 2018

Typically, the biggest impact is going to be the texture maps. The higher the resolution, the larger the file size. The size of the image on disk doesn't matter a whole lot, since the image is converted to a format used by Unity (and mipmaps are calculated, etc) during processing. And since Unity/SineSpace supports PBR materials, the more texture maps your material uses, the larger the file size. And then the more materials you use, etc etc. Compression settings in Unity can help, but resolution & number of maps are huge factors. Beyond that, things like custom shaders, substances, sounds, and other elements add to the file size.

I have also noticed that the file size of the store and inventory icons on an item can have an impact, but it's generally fairly small.

All the file sizes in your post seem tiny, things ramp up a lot as you get into more detailed physically based rendering materials.