1. The space forums use a separate registration system from the main virtual world. To comment on these forums, you need to create a separate forum account.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, if you want some direct help without hopping inworld - try our Discord channel at https://discord.gg/mptfycQ
    Dismiss Notice

What is the maximum size for a Sinespace region?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan Schultz, Aug 21, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Ryan Schultz

By:Ryan SchultzAug 21, 2017

Hi, Adam mentioned what the maximum size of a Sinespace region was, but I forgot what he said :)

I know it can be quite a bit bigger than the maximum experience size in Sansar. What is the maximum size of a Sinespace region? Is there a hard and fast upper limit?

2. Aribeth

By:AribethAug 22, 2017

As I understand it, the size limitations are in the mbs of the objects? Probably not saying it right, but basically, the 'physical' size isn't so much the limit as is the items inside the region.

3. Adam

By:AdamAug 22, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep. We limit by download size only - if you re-use the same items over and over again, you could probably get away with very large quantities of those too (especially if you have object instancing enabled).

That said, there will be some practical limitations which will form effective limits - the first is that objects and avatars may get a bit wonky at high-up coordinates due to floating point precision. I wouldn't advise having navigable areas beyond about +/- 16,384.0m on any one axis, but you can do it. (That gives you an effective usable area of around 32,768m per edge of a cube, if centred at 0,0,0)

Likewise with objects, there will be 'some' hard limits eventually, using the same objects/materials/textures repeatedly will batch and instance nicely - so if you had just individual items, you can safely get into the 'millions of objects' count, especially with things like occlusion culling enabled; but practically speaking, you probably don't want to go higher than 250-300K. That said, common cases for needing millions of objects is often things like trees and grasses - we're currently supporting two assets, Vegetation Studio and AltTrees for Unity, which allow hundreds of thousands, to millions of instanced trees/rocks/grass/etc. Vegetation studio support is still preliminary, but I know Trilo has been doing work with AltTrees and it generally works. Vegetation Studio should promise object counts in excess of 5 million+ objects in a scene.

The biggest 'limits' are texture sizes - a single 4K texture can range anywhere from 2mb to 128mb, depending on crunching and other compression settings - we do support Allegorithmic's 'Substances', which are a form of procedural authoring (libraries of substances can show you the potential - lookup gametextures.com and Allegorithmic's 'Substance Source') - which will let you pack lots of high resolution textures into a scene (currently capped at 2048px resolution, but Unity 2017.2 will increase this to 8192px) - that will allow you to exhaust VRAM on users devices to a degree (hello lag!) if you use a lot of them.

Aribeth likes this.
  4. Ryan Schultz

By:Ryan SchultzAug 23, 2017

Thanks, Adam!

5. Adam

By:AdamAug 23, 2017
    Developer
    Staff Member Moderator

No problem! Hopefully useful info. :)